GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 Suburban to tow our toy hauler up north. I got a 4X4, with 4,10 gears, but it is only the 5.3L and we are under the gvw at about 13,900 pounds. We were going up the hill towards payson, AZ and we were floored doing only 25 mph. After that very depressing trip we quickly added a K&N cold air intake and a performance catback exhaust. We tried it again with no more luck than the first trip. Does that sound like the right kind of performance? The dealer seems to think that is sounds about right?!?! Any help from anyone would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Little V8, large heavy trailer, ya that sounds about right.

323 cubic inches is really not a big tow vehicle. What the hell were you hauling?

6,000 lb truck from a 13,900 = 7,900 lb trailer. Even with a 350/5.7L engine it would be working on a hill. It would be moving faster but not much.

Who recommended this combo?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Wow! That is heavy combo. What is the torque/HP rating on a 5.3 these days?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You must have a BIG toy hauler because I have towed our 24' Weekend Warrior lots with her 2001 Suburban W/5.3, CAI, and 373 gears without too much problem. Slow going on the hils for sure but I bet a Hypertech programmer will give you a little more muscle. Here is the Hypertech Dynochart for your Suburban.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know the route you speak of. My wife and I travel it a few times a month with a 9000 lb load. The hills your talking about are not your avg. "hill". These are mountains he's climbing ! Even with our 2500HD, 8.1 L (496ci), Allison auto and 4.10's were still only doin about 45, the same as the turbo diesels on the road with us. The performance your getting from your 5.3 is normal and I dont think any mods you throw at it are gonna give you what your looking for with that load. You need a diesel or some major cube's. You already have the deep gears, I wouldnt go any deeper unless your running a 33" tire or larger which it doesnt sound like you are. Not putting down your truck but thats just way too much load for yer rig and the "hills" we run up to Payson.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I was just looking at the figures, what happened to burbs, and their towing?!
Doesn't look to me, like the '07 model year is particularly a good year to own a burb if you intend to tow anything.
I'm sure this is a result of GM trying to squeeze more mpg out of the burb, but how depressing. No wonder the OP (original poster) is having so much trouble towing, even if you are towing up mountains. Burbs have always had power to spare past the max tow limit, I suspect that the tow limit is right up to the max, and there's nothing in reserve for power.

Those HP and torque figures aren't too impressive either. Too bad. Sorry, I'm not trying to put your burb down, but I think you'd have better luck towing with a '06, or like Dwill suggested a hypertech programmer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Caveat emptor

I did a stint at an RV dealer and unfortunately some salesmen will sell you a rig that you really don't have the capacity to haul safely. A friend of mine bought a travel trailer to tow behind his Explorer that ended in disaster. The right front tire blew out and things got out of control. The trailer ended up a pile of aluminum confetti. Thank god no one got hurt.

Remember that if you had trouble hauling it up the grade, going down the grade isn't much safer. You have a lot of weight behind you that can overload your brake system and brake fade can be fatal.

Just because the 'math' says you can tow it, doesn't make it safe. Decide what safety margin you feel comfortable with and buy accordingly.

A load that is at the extreme limit of a vehicle's towing capacity puts strain on the driveline and the brakes, so service them more frequently than you normally would. The idea is to make it back alive from those vacations.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I was just looking at the figures, what happened to burbs, and their towing?!
Doesn't look to me, like the '07 model year is particularly a good year to own a burb if you intend to tow anything.
I'm sure this is a result of GM trying to squeeze more mpg out of the burb, but how depressing. No wonder the OP (original poster) is having so much trouble towing, even if you are towing up mountains. Burbs have always had power to spare past the max tow limit, I suspect that the tow limit is right up to the max, and there's nothing in reserve for power.

Those HP and torque figures aren't too impressive either. Too bad. Sorry, I'm not trying to put your burb down, but I think you'd have better luck towing with a '06, or like Dwill suggested a hypertech programmer.
I agree those are some wimpy numbers from the 5.3. (Although I wasn't going to say it out loud) Bring back the real HP engines...I need a minute here fellas, I just felt a tear for GM....:frown:.....Ok I'm good!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Sad but true!

I have an 07 Burb with the 5.3 and just pulling a uhaul trailer with about 2000 lbs in it seemed like a little work. It hauled it fine but you could tell it was on there. I did not buy mine to haul big loads but for what i need it is plenty. The power on hand with no trailer is a little slow but is definatly there if you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Sorry, maybe my opinion didn't come across too tactfully.:redface:
Ditto

I have been having some intense pain problems lately and been a little short with my answers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Phoenix to Payson

In case you didn't notice, most of that climb to Payson is 6% grade with the last 5 miles or so (after the Roosevelt Lake exit) is 7%. It's no wonder you were only doing 25mph towing 13.9K - 4.10s or not.

I towed my 6.5k trailer behind my 98 Tahoe (with 3.42 gears) and I was having a real hard time holding 40mph in second gear! By the time I got to Payson and stopped at the campground, I had boiled the fluid in my rear differential and it had come out the front pinion seal. I had to stop at the Quick Lube the next day to get the fluid replaced.

The 5.3 is a CUTE little engine with a good amount of power, but they need to stay in the higher rpms to have any torque to work with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the responses

We tried the hypertech programmer and we were able to get up to 35mph. We traded in the burb and went with a GMC 3500HD duramax diesel. Now when we tow we don't even feel the toyhauler. Thanks again for all of the responses!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
We tried the hypertech programmer and we were able to get up to 35mph. We traded in the burb and went with a GMC 3500HD duramax diesel. Now when we tow we don't even feel the toyhauler. Thanks again for all of the responses!
Smart thinking! I used to tow my 24' Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler with my Wife's 2001 Suburban and then bought my 2500HD w/Duramax in December and what a difference that made! Towing is effortless:great:

Thanks for sticking with Chevrolet, you made the right choice with your upgrade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
bigger RV

Now it's time for a BIGGER TRAILER! I'd consider something along the lines of 38ft, triple-axle, fifth-wheel with 4 slides and a garage in the back for your toys. There are places that sell screened enclosures for those rear garage access doors. Get one with the fuel station built right into the side - for fueling your atvs withouth leaving the fuel cans out for everyone to take or inside stinking up the place!

Try out Holiday Rambler's new toy haulers! Sweet!

Just do it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Now yer talkin ! .......and Haulin ! : )

Enjoy the new ride and power !

G.

·
Registered
28 Posts
what you need is a whipple twinscrew supercharger most efficent supercharger on the market takes that 5.3 from the I think around 340 hp to around 450!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been pokin' along for years with under-powered Suburbans...finally bought a 2000 Yukon XL with the 6.0 liter and 4.10 rearend. What a difference! IMHO, if you are pulling anything more than a small utility trailer, you need a 6.0. Gas mileage has been good, too.

16 mpg with just me in the vehicle.
14 pulling an empty 16 ft. car hauler (heavy duty).
12 with a Jeep Wagoneer on the trailer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, since he already traded up. But yeah, the 5.3, although a great little engine, can't handle the duty of towing something that heavy. The 07 Suburbans are big and heavy on their own!

I have a 38' Travel Trailer, ~10,500 lbs. fully loaded, and we used to live in Southern WV (Beckley) right off I64 & I77. There is a hill about 10 miles outside of Beckley on I64 called Sandstone that brings trucks and heavy vehicles to their knees. It's 5 miles long, starts out at 7% and the last mile turns into 7.5-8%.

When we moved down (Jan. '05), I had my '89 3/4 Suburban 4x4, 350TBI, TH400, 3.73, 285/75-16s, and when I towed my 16 ft open car trailer with my '70 Camaro, I hit the bottom at 80mph and slowly slowed down to 42 mph at the top, and it was just about to downshift into 1st gear.

That's when I knew that she just wasn't enough anymore. A couple months later is when I got my '04 2500 4x4 Suburban with the 8.1 and 4.10s. And oh my, it was a night and day difference. Now with this Suburban, on my way home from a race one weekend pulling the same car and trailer (I figure at about 5500 lbs.), I had to stop at the bottom of the hill, right before it started (a carsick passenger), and when I started out, I kept it to the floor until it reached 80 mph at about 1/3 of the way up. That kept me grinning for a while.

Anyway back to the camper. I never got to tow up that hill, but I came down it with the camper when we moved back home (Eastern Panhande of WV). There are 2-4 mile hills all along I64 towards I81 that are up to the same 7% grade (Sandstone just being the mother hill), and I towed the camper (which was prolly around 11,000 lbs since we put more stuff in it for the move) around 70 mph and maintained at least 65 on everything but one hill, which brought be down to 61 mph. All of the longer hills took 2nd gear revving about 4000-4200 rpms to maintain the speed, but that Suburban and those 8100 Big Blocks are freaking animals. Too bad Chevy doesn't offer the 8100 in the Suburbans anymore. The 6.0's are comparable when not towing or towing smaller loads, but not when towing those heavier loads. You just can't beat a big block or diesel for towing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts