GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I have a 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with the 5.7L engine. It has 120,000 miles onit.

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm amechanical novice and seem to be getting conflicting information.

1) I'm overdue due for a tune up on my truck. Two mechanics have quoted between$500 - $700 for the service. That seems a little expensive to me for plugs,wires, cap and rotor...roughly $200 in parts. The mechanics are quoting 3.5 to4 hours of labor and stating that the service includes "idle and basetiming adjustment." I was under the impression that timing adjustment wasnot required for cars with electronic ignition. Basically I want to know ifthey are trying to charge me for something that isn't needed.

2) Automatic transmission fluid. Some of the post here say that there is noneed to replace the fluid unless you’re experiencing a problem. Is this true?

3) My windshield wipers have lost their mind when turned on. Regardless if Iturn them on full, mist, or intermittent, they will swipe back and forth at thenormal full speed. I can adjust them between fast and full without problem, butwhen I turn them off they continue to operate for several minutes. When usingintermittent, they will at times stutter and stop in the middle of thewindshield. I have to turn the wipers on and off several times before I canactually get them to stop. The problem presents itself about 75% of the time,the other 25% they work just fine. My question is, should I be looking toreplace the wiper motor or the control lever that also includes the cruisecontrol and turn signal? My assumption is that there is a relay somewhere thatis sticking. Where is this relay located....motor or control lever or am Icompletely wrong.

Thank you so much for helping a mechanical know nothing.
Brad

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. You can do the tune-up yourself, just make sure you use A/C Delco spark plugs. Alot of people including myself have found that GM's just seem to run better with A/C's. Alot of other plugs seem to trigger misfire codes. As far as the trans, shops tell people this so all the shops has to do is flush the trans, this means not dropping the pan. If the fluid needs changing, then the filter does too. As far as your wiper issue I know theres a electronic board located under the cowl near the windsheild that goes bad. I had to change mine on my '96 'Burb years ago with a updated aftermarket unit.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top