GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do the yearly service for my 2006 Yukon XL that I bought last year, so obviously the first time I will have done this. One of the maintenance items I want to do is lubricate the chassis. The owner's manual calls for either a GM specific product, or "lubricant meeting requirements of NLGI #2, Category LB or GC-LB." After reading this I went out and bought this stuff from Valvoline, VV615 Multi-Vehicle High Temperature Grease, which includes this product feature: "NLGI #2 Grade GC-LB Lithium Complex EP Grease." (link: Valvoline Multi-Vehicle High Temperature Grease - Advance Auto Parts).

After I had already bought this I was doing some unrelated work on the car and noticed that the grease currently being used (a little was leaking out of a grease fitting) looks like a metallic dark blue, almost black in the right light. So my question is, are there any concerns with mixing colors as long as the specs seem to be right? I did some googling and I think the answer is no, it's just dye, but I'd really like to hear that from someone who knows more than me on this subject.

While I'm at it, I thought I remembered seeing posts somewhere showing where all the grease fittings were for this car. By any chance does anyone have something like that handy? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can mix it, it should be fine, we use the Valvoline grease you mentioned here at the gm dealer I work at. I generally don't recommend this unless its already seeping out somewhere because it can pop or split a boot, but If your concerned about mixing colors you can try to keep pumping in the grease until what's coming out is the new color. I've personally never had an issue with mixing colors or brands though, its generally just a dye color thats used.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Crispyt. I scraped a ton of black oil/dirt/dust/grease mixture away from the fittings up front, which is why I thought it needed replenishing. I also contacted Valvoline directly and they said the Red grease could be mixed with the existing grease in my application, so sounds like I'm good to go. I am definitely concerned about not ruining any boots, though, any recommendations on how to avoid that?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would just pump grease into it until you start to see the boot expanding a bit. If the boot is clamped in place then be careful because they won't let much grease out if any and if you put too much in it will pop the boot. I just do it until it starts to look like it's evenly expanding a little bit and call it good. I always tell the guys at the shop just use your best judgment and common sense, don't over think it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts