GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an aftermarket stereo for my 2005 GMC Sierra I installed it and I still do not have power. the only one that is not connected is the orange wire which is the illumination wire I'm not sure what to do can someone please help me?

·
Registered
729 Posts
What is the brand radio? Did it come with adapters or a straight plug in for speakers and power. Did you have the truck ignition in the ON/RUN position? Did the radio come with a wiring diagram or chart? Did the old radio work?
The most important part is the ground connection. I do not know if the factory radio ground connection is part of the power connections or as in the old radios the chassis of the radio was the ground connection and this ground connection helped supported the radio. However, I think this method went out with the dodo bird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[QUOT.E="WorthFlorida, post: 2049418, member: 56983"]What is the brand radio? Did it come with adapters or a straight plug in for speakers and power. Did you have the truck ignition in the ON/RUN position? Did the radio come with a wiring diagram or chart? Did the old radio work?
The most important part is the ground connection. I do not know if the factory radio ground connection is part of the power connections or as in the old radios the chassis of the radio was the ground connection and this ground connection helped supported the radio. However, I think this method went out with the dodo bird.[/QUOTE]

The radio is a sony and I got the scoscho in dash installation kit and the scoscho gm lan replacement interface w/chime for it. I have it all conected but no power the only wire that I could not connect is the orange illumination Wire

·
Registered
729 Posts
I found a video on the installation of Scosche hardness. One problem I see is all it states is connect color to color. But you end up with a connection for the lights. that tells me the wiring is not exact from the GM to Scosche adapter. Scosche web site has no instructions. I found
GM2000A lan kit, a GMT2049A dash kit. I could not find a wiring kit or did this come with the Sony radio? What are the part numbers of the kits you bought and what Sony model?

All I can do is search for instruction to help you out. For one thing, be sure there is 12 volts to the radio. Get your voltmeter out and check the harness. With one lead to ground there should be 12 volt somewhere (ignition on). When you find it check the radio side that this pin is the 12 volt connection for the radio.

Check this video out [

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I bought an aftermarket stereo for my 2005 GMC Sierra I installed it and I still do not have power. the only one that is not connected is the orange wire which is the illumination wire I'm not sure what to do can someone please help me?
this is for a 2005 Silverado
Radio 12v orange + radio harness
Radio Ground black/white - radio harness
Radio Ignition (Class 2 Serial Data)
Radio Illumination N/A
Factory Amp Turn-on pink + radio harness
Power Antenna N/A
LF Speaker +/- tan - gray +,- radio harness
Notes: If equipped, the amplifier is under the center console.
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - dk. green +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio harness

with the pink the controlling feed the radio orange is 12volts all the time on. look at the power port wire colors should also be orange. Gm has used this color for this type feed for decades. pink is usually a control wire color.the speaker colors are another GM standard for a very long time.

using a meter see if the orange stays on no matter what position the ignition switch is in. you purchased the radio so if you can read a diagram the 12 volt feed should be on there and the color used of the radio manufacturer.
I would not just match radio wire colors with the GM colors.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
These guys are right instructions should be as per manuf, check there web site also. But go to the AUDIO/VIDEO forum on here and do a search for @MotoCARR he has some very detailed wiring instructions that should help you out.

Reactions: MotoCARR

·
Registered
‘02 Suburban 2500/‘08 Suburban 2500
207 Posts
[QUOT.E="WorthFlorida, post: 2049418, member: 56983"]What is the brand radio? Did it come with adapters or a straight plug in for speakers and power. Did you have the truck ignition in the ON/RUN position? Did the radio come with a wiring diagram or chart? Did the old radio work?
The most important part is the ground connection. I do not know if the factory radio ground connection is part of the power connections or as in the old radios the chassis of the radio was the ground connection and this ground connection helped supported the radio. However, I think this method went out with the dodo bird.
The radio is a sony and I got the scoscho in dash installation kit and the scoscho gm lan replacement interface w/chime for it. I have it all conected but no power the only wire that I could not connect is the orange illumination Wire[/QUOTE]

Are you using the GM2000A or the GM09SR? If memory serves me, the GM2000A does not have a built in switched power wire for aftermarket radios. I believe it comes with a short piece of wire in the kit which is for you to run to a wire that has 12v power when the key is in the ignition position. If the radio below is what yours looks like, take a look in the 2nd plug that would go in the slot I circled. Like j cat mentioned, you may have a pink wire in this harness, and if so, test it with a multimeter. If not, you will have to run that wire(may need to extend it) to the key ignition where you would be looking for a thick pink wire.
Electronics Technology Electronic device Cd player

If you're using the GM09SR I would check your connections, and or the relay that came with it. I think this harness does have a switched power output for aftermarket radios(Basically you don't have to run a wire like I described above) so in theory it should turn on with just the connections made behind the radio.

·
Registered
171 Posts
On my last truck, I used the scoche interface. I didn'the have any problems with the wiring. After a while, it would kill the radio. Only way to get it back was to pull the battery cable. It got bad enough that I yanked the interface and installed a generic harness. No problems after that. If the wiring has been double / triple checked, it could be a problem with the interface.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sounds like the orange wire needs to be connected to 12volts when the key is in the on position. Sounds like it may also serve as a switched lead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts