GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone is using a Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disabler that plugs into your onboard OBD-II. Saw it on you tube and I looked it up on the internet, Everything I read so far no one has any negative comment. I have a 2017 Silverado LT with the 5.3 engine.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I've been using the Range plug-in on my 2011 5.3 for about 7 years.
I've had a couple issues that have never been directly attributed to it's use but started about the same time and involve systems the Range affects.
Where I live I'm required an annual emissions inspection which involves the vehicle being connected to a diagnostic program.
A few times during testing the ECM has had issues with the system being read, and emissions readiness problems.
The last few years about 3 weeks before I bring the truck in for testing I remove the Range plug-in, reset the system by disconnecting the battery, and make sure I put about 200 mile on the truck before the test.
This appears to have resolved the issue.
Other than that the Range has worked as advertised.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought one and had an issue. I would get "hard" 2-1 downshifts with the Range device plugged in. Not all the time-but frequent. I called Range and it was an issue that they were familiar with-tho the issue doesn't happen with all trucks. But it happened in my 2018 w/the 5.3. I sold the Range device.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Just curious if anyone is using a Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disabler that plugs into your onboard OBD-II. Saw it on you tube and I looked it up on the internet, Everything I read so far no one has any negative comment. I have a 2017 Silverado LT with the 5.3 engine.
many had no problems engine lasts much longer with this afm killer.. if you had a problem with it then have them send another replacement.buy from seller that will have warranty.. nothing is perfect in today's world...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear. I called Range Technology. They acknowledged the problem-and stated there was nothing they could do. It was the current software, good serial number, etc.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear. I called Range Technology. They acknowledged the problem-and stated there was nothing they could do. It was the current software, good serial number, etc.
the AFM module has to be programed for the newer GM vehicles. the diablo tuner also needs programing download from web site so the tuner works . GM/FORD/CHY this works ..
diablo tuner platinum :
  • Add Horsepower, Torque and Fuel Economy to your vehicle without even popping the hood!
  • Featuring the latest generation ARM processor. The device's display has a higher resolution screen and an exceptionally responsive touch pad.
  • DiabloSport's pre-loaded tunes are dyno and street tested to ensure optimal power and drivability gains. Basic installation, big power gains!
  • Easy tune asks you for what octane gas you want to run, if you've changed your tire size, if you want to remove the speed limiter and more. It's the perfect way to drop a tune on your ride in minutes!
  • Start off with DiabloSport's preset performance tunes and make changes that suit your performance needs. Adjust options like timing, fueling, idle, speed limiters, rev limiters, tire size, gear ratios and more.
  • The i3 retrieves diagnostic data of how your vehicle's tune is performing. Export all of your data to a PC and play it back on DiabloSport's Data Viewer logging software.
  • Regardless of whether you purchased an i3 for a Chrysler, Ford, or GM- you can buy an additional license to tune ANY vehicle supported by DiabloSport!
  • Update your i3 software on virtually any computer- Mac, Windows, Linux. Update times are faster than ever, even large updates only take about 5 minutes.
  • Holds custom tunes. Use our worldwide network of CMR tuners to step above our canned tunes.
  • Performance/Diablo Tune 16HP 20TQ
  • Diablo Tow 10HP 15TQ
  • 87 Performance/Economy 8HP 10TQ
  • Touch Screen - Y
  • Data Logging - Y
  • Check Clear DTCs - Y
  • 5 Volt Data Logging Inputs - Y
  • Accepts Custom Tunes from CMR - Y
  • Calibrate Speedometer for Gear Ratio - Y
  • Calibrate Speedo for Tire Size - Y
  • Cooling Fan Control - Y
  • Fuel Rich/Lean Adjustment - Y
  • Spark Timing Advance/Retard - Y
  • Idle RPM - Y
  • Top Speed Limiter - Y
  • Rev Limiter - Y
  • Shift Points - Y
  • Shift Firmness - Y
  • Torque Management Adjustment - Y
  • Disable Active Fuel Management - Y

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disabler plugs arrived and its been about 2 weeks since I plugged it in and I just love the way it drives now. Power is always there and my gas millage went up by one gallon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been using the Range plug-in on my 2011 5.3 for about 7 years.
I've had a couple issues that have never been directly attributed to it's use but started about the same time and involve systems the Range affects.
Where I live I'm required an annual emissions inspection which involves the vehicle being connected to a diagnostic program.
A few times during testing the ECM has had issues with the system being read, and emissions readiness problems.
The last few years about 3 weeks before I bring the truck in for testing I remove the Range plug-in, reset the system by disconnecting the battery, and make sure I put about 200 mile on the truck before the test.
This appears to have resolved the issue.
Other than that the Range has worked as advertised.
Hello there. So I live in California and range won't ship here do to the same reason of emissions. but I have seen the AFM DISABLER on amazon and was thinking of doing the same thing but wasn't to sure if it would work. But reading your post it seems like it will. But my question is what If I buy one and the software is not up to date what would I do after that? I have an 2016 5.3

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Hello there. So I live in California and range won't ship here do to the same reason of emissions. but I have seen the AFM DISABLER on amazon and was thinking of doing the same thing but wasn't to sure if it would work. But reading your post it seems like it will. But my question is what If I buy one and the software is not up to date what would I do after that? I have an 2016 5.3
you look up the AFM widget from the company .. you have to look up that the AFM delete will work on your truck. NOW when you plug it in to the OBDII port, engine off .. then start the engine up ,, the engine will run with ALL cylinders.
then when you go to the cali inspection emission station engine off ,,, pull out the afm widget ,, then go to the emission station ..
AFM widget ,, PCM does not change the software ... widget turns off the AFM when plugged in .. many have no issues ,, engines run much better and have no AFM internal damage .
now a diablo tuner does change the software .. the tuner saves the OEM program .. then the tuner can change many software controls .. it is a very good product but many have to be instructed to properly do the software changes..
California your gonna stay in jail changing the PCM software .. but if you kill someone you will be out of jail ..

My 1996 Impala ,, California is a PITA .. many had to high cost emission testing and a long time ..put on a tread mill .. they changed the emission test to a lower level..
my state it only has a safety inspection .. but I do not have any engine damage no emissions very clean ..
works perfectly bought it in nov 1995 ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
2014 and 2017 GMC 5.3.
They work good in both. The 2017 is still under warranty. Unplug before taking to dealership. NO reprogramming to do!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts