GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals

I've got a 2010 silverado 4.8L w/3.42s, ive done a 7.5" lift and am running 35" tires. I tow my boat all the time in BC and we have TONS of hills here. Ive noticed that my truck is GUTLESS while towing and trying to go uphill, im always caught in between gears. I was gonna go and change them out to 4.56's but my supplier told me that i needed a new carrier in the front, since i wanna do front & rear is this true???

And i cant wait to get better fuel economy after changing them out too :happy::happy::happy: right now im getting 24.4L/100kms or 9.7 MPG average, how much of a diff do you think the new gears will make?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes you will need a new carrier, and go with 4.88's....especially with the towing. 4.56's are the recommended gear when only considering the diameter of the tire. You need to consider the added weight of the tires/wheels (rolling resistance). Anyway, I went with 4.88's and they are awesome. The truck feels so powerful and will MOVE. I also gained a solid 2 MPG around town (a little more if i baby it).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackout what motor do you have? im thinking with the 4spd 4.88s will kill me on the hiway

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have the 4.8. I haven't gone very far with it, but I got around 14.5 mpg on my last highway trip. That was winding roads with no decent amount of flat out cruising. I get 12.5 in town. Thats all around better than what I was getting before. With towing, 4.88's will yield much more desireable results in both power and mpg. Search GM Fullsize and GM-Trucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts