GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It really depends on where you look. For example I found a 4 bedroom house, 2 baths on 14 acres in Douglas, GA for $177,000.00
But my house which has less than 1/4 acre at best is three bedrooms, 1 bath, is valued at $220,000.00, at least thats what the taxes are based on.

Currently 2 bedroom apartment/condo in this area is approx $800-$1100 per month to rent.

Thinking about moving, Peter?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Mine is a 1100 sq ft bungalow (single storey) on 60x160 lot. Mine is worth about $230,000. Central Ontario. This is one of the fastest growing communities in north america. I know tons of Dutch/Belgian people here. I tease my old boss about wooden shoes for slippers :lol: his last name is Schroer.

·
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is a 1100 sq ft bungalow (single storey) on 60x160 lot. Mine is worth about $230,000. Central Ontario. This is one of the fastest growing communities in north america. I know tons of Dutch/Belgian people here. I tease my old boss about wooden shoes for slippers :lol: his last name is Schroer.

That's a Dutch name not a Belgian.

·
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's completely understandable. Making a move like that will be culture shock. So many changes all at once, can be a lot for a person to take.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I can definitely understand her feelings.
I know, but staying here makes me go crazy.
I want to move out of Europe they are making laws here with the dozen, you can't do this you can't do that. 30% of the Flemish population is Islamic we have mosques all over the place. Don't understand me wrong here I'm not a racist but when you move to another country you adapt to the habits of the people living there and not the other way around.
They even feed our children Halal meat in school :whip:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
oops sorry. your right. my bad...again.
I feel the same way we have the same problem in Canada. It's not racist, its confusing.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Don't understand me wrong here I'm not a racist but when you move to another country you adapt to the habits of the people living there and not the other way around.
They even feed our children Halal meat in school :whip:
You would think that's the way it should be, but it's becoming less and less of a reality. As it stand in the US English is becoming a second language, and Spanish it starting to take over.
Currently all students at my daughter's high school are "strongly urged" to take Spanish as a second language. They can take any language they like, but the teachers all seem to band together, and put pressure on the students to learn it instead of French, or Italian, or some other language, which would be equally useful.

I know it's not the same, but I agree with you, when you move to another country, you should not expect that country to learn your ways, but it's more common than you might think.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Moving is always difficult. I moved 2500 miles to Texas from Seattle. I've lived in California, Idaho, Washington, Texas. All of the residents of the US now were orinigally from somewhere else, even the "natives" originally came here from somewhere else. However, that being said, moving isn't as tough as it used to be. I can't imagine what my ancestors went through when they left England, Ireland, France, Germany, etc. to come to the US.

Now, housing prices. You can get a nice place in Texas for $125,000, 4 bedroom 2.5 bath, 2 car garage. $250,000 will get you a 5 room 4 bath 3 car garage house on 1 acre.

California on the other hand, let's say Orange County ... $750,000 will get you a 4 bedroom 3 bath house. It just all depends on where you live. Texas is a low tax state ... but it's a low services state as well. California, New York, etc. ... just the opposite.

·
Registered
48 Posts
living just outside new york city I've noticed that the prices are really high for homes. i dont know the exact sqft of my house but we have 6 bed, 5 1/2 bath, and 4.5 acres of land. about a year ago it was valued for $2.2 mil, we bought 12 years ago at $800,000.

the average house now, sells for aproximatly $1.25 mil in my town and the surrounding areas and the average rental is upwards of $1500 a month.

·
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now, housing prices. You can get a nice place in Texas for $125,000, 4 bedroom 2.5 bath, 2 car garage. $250,000 will get you a 5 room 4 bath 3 car garage house on 1 acre.
The prices in Texas and Canada are reasonable, New York city is too expensive for me.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Our House

In Toledo Ohio our house is valued at $170,000.00 approx 1700 sqft, 4 bedrooms, bath and half, double lot, two car garage. In California the same house on the same lot would cost you $500,000.00-and up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts