GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity, I am wondering if anyone has had rear differential issues? Recently, I had to have mine replaced in my 2003 Trailblazer LS.

The dealer said that they have seen about 5 Trailblazer's with this problem. I have never taken the truck off-road. I use 4WD for traction in snow, but that is it. I was surprised to this fail.

Thankfully, I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the SUV, so it only cost me $200 bucks ($100 deductible + $100 for bearings the warranty would not cover) to get fixed ($1400.00 repair bill). They had to replace the whole rear differential, since the $25.00 part that was broken was unavailable. (which figures)

Has anyone else seen this issue ?

Just curious...

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it became very difficult to drive. When I would turn, the rear tires would squeal (even from a complete stop). It was odd. Intitially, I thought it was the abs locking up (pulsing) or a stuck brake. The strange thing was that once the vehicle was going faster than 25mph, the problem went away. I think I caught the problem early on ...

With this SUV, I wish I could: 1. disable ABS (for me, it's bad when driving in snow and on ice) 2. disable the locking differential (it is a pain to backup, when in four wheel drive).

Scott M
Northern KY
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LS

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually let the local dealership (Tom Gill Chevrolet) do the work (I know, I am sure it was at a premium) because they always do good warranty work and since it was under the extended warranty, I figured why not. The total repair bill was around $1,800.00 but that include a $300.00 pinion seal leak fix as well. (they found this one- I did not even realize it was leaking)

Really, I am not upset about this last repair, since it only cost me $200.00. It could have been a lot worse. Also, this truck has only been in the shop 4 times (previously for a broken rear window regulator, a problem with the windshield wiper transmission and a recall {tail light I think}) over the course of 3 years.

The last SUV I had, a 2000 ChevyBlazer, was a junker. Over the course of the 3 years I had the truck, it was in the shop 13 times- about once every 3 months. Each time, it was something stupid that went wrong- except for twice, in which the 4WD went out (the truck would not switch out of 4WD HI).

Glad I got rid of that truck.

Thanks !!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.