GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got the differential replaced in my 99 silverado and now the rear end is locked up ive tried slinging it front and back and it still hops in the turns
it has an auburn limited slip differential
the four wheel drive actuator had messed up and it locked into four low and i dont know if that messed anything up on it but any avice will be greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Can I correctly assume the auburn is a clutch type limited slip? I once rebuilt a clutch type LS and it took a few miles (<50) before the oil/friction modifier fully soaked into the clutches to allow them to slip. How many miles has it been since the install? Do you know for sure if the correct fluid/friction modifier was put in? I might even suggest one of the first things to do might be to pull the fill plug just to make sure fluid was added.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i put the rear end under the truck myself we had a company redo the entire rear axle (new axle tubes dif. etc) so yes there was fluid added and we put the fluid modifier in there that the company gave us. its been about 4k miles since the rebuild. i had problems with the fourwheel drive and i think that might of caused it to stay locked up when at low speeds. the motor on the transfer case went bad and it was stuck in 4 low. any other ideas?
ty for your help btw

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
To be clear, you're sure that it is the differential that is locked up and not something in the transfer case that is still locked up, right?

If you are certain that we should be chasing something in the diff down, it might be time to open up the diff. I'm not at all familiar with the specifics of the Auburn unit you have in there, but maybe something has happened to a spring or a clutch that has caused it to lock up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not completely sure. the rear end jumps around corners despite the fact of the transfer case being put in 2wd manually. not sure how this would affect the locker. its a mechanical not electrical locker just to clear that up. could be something in there but i plan on taking the pumpkin off and seeing what i can find will post pics and info on my finds. any other help is much welcome.
tyvm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rear end was being caused by the transfer case motor being broken and this was caused by the 4lo gears being stripped out in the transfercase thank you for all your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts