GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on another site. I know some of you have older diesel pick-ups and Suburbans that this upgrade might apply to.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Nice find, Darcy. That upgrade is fit to do on any older P/U truck from what I can tell. I might just "Sticky" this thread anybody second that? :great:

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
here here! As soon as I can get the 800 bucks to do the conversion, I'm doin it... :glasses:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
If you go to SSBC's website, www.ssbrakes.com they have kits for many different vehicles. They'll build packages for custom vehicles. They built a brake package for my 91 Toyota pickup on Dana 60's consisting of master cylinder, S/S lines, frt/rr disc's, adjustable porportional valves for frt/rr, and frt/rr line locks, all for around $1200.

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
If you go to SSBC's website, www.ssbrakes.com they have kits for many different vehicles. They'll build packages for custom vehicles. They built a brake package for my 91 Toyota pickup on Dana 60's consisting of master cylinder, S/S lines, frt/rr disc's, adjustable porportional valves for frt/rr, and frt/rr line locks, all for around $1200.
Yeah, that's where I got the $800 dollar price range from...
http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/searchByVehicle/Chevrolet/Suburban_1500_(2WD)/1991
I don't know why, but the brake upgrade/conversion kits for my suburban are outrageous. I don't understand it. I wish they weren't, but I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yea but did ya read the description

EGR Performance Brakes offers a New Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 1988 and later models when fitted with Single Rear Wheels. The kit fits either Dana 60, 70 or 80, Semi & Full Floating, Ford 9” and GM 10 & 14 bolt axles! We have kits for both ½ ton, ¾ and 1 Ton HD models. Now get Superior Braking Performance & Heat Control, Faster & Shorter Stops and Increased Front Brake Life. Get Improved Brake Performance like the new trucks experience!

From thier description you can only run them when our running single rears. Your giving up a lot already if you've got a dually and have to take the outside set of wheels off.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yea but did ya read the description

EGR Performance Brakes offers a New Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 1988 and later models when fitted with Single Rear Wheels. The kit fits either Dana 60, 70 or 80, Semi & Full Floating, Ford 9” and GM 10 & 14 bolt axles! We have kits for both ½ ton, ¾ and 1 Ton HD models. Now get Superior Braking Performance & Heat Control, Faster & Shorter Stops and Increased Front Brake Life. Get Improved Brake Performance like the new trucks experience!

From thier description you can only run them when our running single rears. Your giving up a lot already if you've got a dually and have to take the outside set of wheels off.

I seen that :-( ,

but somewhere in they'r description i read about dually as well ?!:neutral:

I am gonna call them and find out. I hate my drum brakes ,,,,but NO way i am gonna give up my dually's.:great:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
That kit should clear the inside wheel no problem.
The only thing I dont like about it is the price, otherwise it looks solid.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That kit should clear the inside wheel no problem.
The only thing I dont like about it is the price, otherwise it looks solid.

I think the price is a little high, but if its the performance they say ...i would be willing to spend it .

Do u think its worth converting or should i rebuild my drums ???

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
The price is my big issue, like you say if it gives the advertised performance it's money well spent, if you dont have big braking gains I wonder how hard it is to convert back to the drums and return the kit.
I didnt see if their were any permanent modifications made to the axle to prevent returning to drums.
I love disc brakes but on big trucks you need real big discs.
Have you ever looked under the 6500 series trucks? They run discs on the rear, the 6500's I drive at work have great stopping abillity when fully loaded, and thier duallys.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The price is my big issue, like you say if it gives the advertised performance it's money well spent, if you dont have big braking gains I wonder how hard it is to convert back to the drums and return the kit.
I didnt see if their were any permanent modifications made to the axle to prevent returning to drums.
I love disc brakes but on big trucks you need real big discs.
Have you ever looked under the 6500 series trucks? They run discs on the rear, the 6500's I drive at work have great stopping abillity when fully loaded, and thier duallys.

I was thinking about actually making my own ??? Ofcoarse with parts from like a 6500 or so,,,even a newer 3500 HD. but then again...will this work ???????

So 1400 bucks for an aproved system , which i think will work better then drums, is not that bad.

BOLT ON DEAL, no mods or anything.

mmmmmmmmhhhhhh, what u say, do it ...or leave it ?????:lol:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
man, calm down daredevil. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
man, calm down daredevil. :rofl:
Why ?????? U think not worth it ??

I pull allot over all US , so stoping is a good thing..ok being able to stop ! :lol:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
still, you might have a heart attack and not be able to help me convert my cart to a daully. :grrrrrr:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
still, you might have a heart attack and not be able to help me convert my cart to a daully. :grrrrrr:

HAHAHAHA:rofl:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
sigh, snicker, tee hee, haha, ahahahahaha. oh my, this is not good for my health but still:sign0021:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
sigh, snicker, tee hee, haha, ahahahahaha. oh my, this is not good for my health but still:sign0021:
To stay on track we need to discus the disc brakes for your s10 on here aswell. :rules::lol:
Your health ???????? why,,,do i get the s10 ??? hehe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts