37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys about a year back i blew my rear driveshaft in half
zz.jpg

HA :(

This is all for a 1996 chevy silverado k1500 4x4 ext cab short box
-has the HD tow package
-the big 9 1/4 rear axle

Then i picked a drive shaft up from the local junk yard ... the drive shaft is a one piece aluminum drive shaft (not two as seen in pic. haha) and put it in.... come to realize that the u joint was a smig smaller... but drove it anyway ... sometimes you could here it rattle when hard braking or hard accelarating.... well do day if finally got around to doing it today and when i got the proper u joint and drive shaft out i find out that the u joint in the drive shaft in a 1/16th of an inch smaller then the u joint that fits the rear end...... My hole problem is that the new u joint is too big for the drive shaft.... So my question is there two differant drive shafts for these trucks?

proper u joint size for me is : 1 1/8 in
other size : 1 1/16 in

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds to me like you got the drive shaft for a 1500 with the 10 bolt rear and yes they are different size u joints as you found out. Luckily there is a fix for this its a conversion joint from 1310 to a 1350 make sure you measure this when you buy but I am pretty sure you need Napa part # 348.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would that u joint be just as stong as the bigger one? Also do you think there would be any strength diffrences between the two shafts it self? HAHA as you can see i am pretty hard on them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The U joints will hold up but yeah the 1310 drive shaft side is a little weaker than the 1350 differential side. I am pretty sure the U joint will hold up longer than the drive shaft especially if you replaced with another stock aluminum drive shaft. How did you break the old drive shaft?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.... i was thinking on getting a custom steel on made....

HAHA you want the story. well back when i was in high school and i was driveing thru the parking lot early in the morning before most people get there but some ditsy blond cut out in front of me and i ened up stopping well when she got about 3 car lenghts ahead of me i gave her hell and put it to the floor.... ass end kicked sideways and when i made the transition from asphalt to concret it when BANG!!!!..... get out to find out it was luckly the drive shaft not the rear end.... got back in poped her in four wheel drive and parked it .... hahaha and watched my first hour teacher give me the evil eye thru the window while i was taking it out during her class in the parking lot

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice, That U joint should work for ya though a custom shaft would be your best bet in the long run though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thanks for the help and ill keep ya posted on what i decided

1 - 7 of 7 Posts