GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pinion seal and bearing on wife's 94 Burbie is bad, been whining for awhile now starting to growl, mostly in decelleration mode. Ratio is 3.42. 5.7L w/ OD tranny (Trans model?).

Have located a good rear end out of a '93 C1500 pickup. Both are 10-bolt. Neither are positraction.

The MAIN question I have is whether it will fit under the '94 and what issues I will have in the changeover. I have replaced rear ends once on an old Dodge. Just a lot of work but not rocket science. I do all my own repair and mechanic work, all my plumbing, electrical, carpentry and drywall. Hate to hire anyone to do what I can do. That includes learning how, sometimes! ;-)

What vehicles do have compatible rear ends?

I am considering buying this rear end. It has a 3.08 ratio, which I like the idea of. About 10% longer gears. With gas approaching $4/Gal that is the direction I'd want to go! Will need to change the speedo gear. Are there any engine controller issues? Older 5.7L not Vortec.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the site Bill. Your tranny should be the 700R4 (4-speed automatic) and the 2 rearends should be interchangable. Be sure to measure leaf spring mounting pads (can't think of the proper term) and I'm sure your brakes should be the same but if not you can just swap backing plates and hardware to use your existing.
As far as contrller issues- on that old of application it should not affect anything except the gear ratio (which you are taking care of anyways).

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
The 94 should be a 4L60-E, and you will probably have to adjust the speedo to make it right. It'll either be a computer adjustment, or a DRAC adjustment (don't remember what drac stands for, but it converts the pulses from the speedo gear to what the computer and speedo can use

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks -

Thank You. That pretty much echoes my thoughts.

I've swapped out a 2 speed auto for a 3-speed manual in an old Falcon MANY years ago, and the gear or settings change is just another detail... had to get a different driveshaft and have it shortened and all that fun stuff. I will ask the service shop in Athens Chevrolet about the speedo pickup / gear. The service dept there seems very willing to answer questions and for that I am grateful. Of course, he was more reserved - not willing to say that one should fit the other, but how much would have changed in the C1500 rear axle / frame positions from '93 to '94? Wait - I have worked in automotive before - that's a loaded question!

I bet they are the same. But will take some measurements do be sure. The "new" axle is about 4-5 hours drive from where I live (in a favorable direction) and I want to be sure it will fit before I go!

Bill

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
The 94 should be a 4L60-E, and you will probably have to adjust the speedo to make it right. It'll either be a computer adjustment, or a DRAC adjustment (don't remember what drac stands for, but it converts the pulses from the speedo gear to what the computer and speedo can use
Good call Chris! I have the 700R4 in my 87 Blazer and was thinking they ran into the early 90's as well but was not sure so thanks for the correction!:great:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Check with a local dealer, you may get lucky on the speedo and be able to change the pulse wheel (speedo gear). If it's a factory gear ratio the'yre interchangeable. Or you can check Dakota Digitals and they have adaptors to adjust speedo/gear ratios.
The spring pads should be the same spacing. Brakes I'm not sure on, I looked at specs for both trucks and couldnt find any info on drum sizes (I'd expect the Suburban to have larger drums). If there is a difference you should be able to use the drums from the old axle, most 10 bolts are very similiar and adaptable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts