GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 yukon SLT I just purchase a 02 Tahoe rear end it fits but the mechanic says there's no ABS on the 1 I just got is that possible ? I thought they put ABS in all chevy and GMC trucks after a certain year

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
GM used 3 channel and 4 channel ABS.
The 3 channel was 2 in the front and only 1 in the rear.
I don't know when GM changed from 3 to 4 on the big SUVs, it's possible the '04 has 4 and the '02 has 3.
If that's the case, it would be easy to update the '02 to 4 channel because you would have the parts from the old axle.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The GMC which is a 2004 and only two years newer, will have more upgrade options than a 2002 Tahoe which explains the presence of two wheel sensors in the rear diff. The wheel sensors on each end of the rear differential sits in a hole on each end of the differential housing and secured by a bolt. The 2002 rear end does not have these wheel sensors.
Look under your GMC Yukon rear end and check if you have these sensors on each wheel.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The GMC which is a 2004 and only two years newer, will have more upgrade options than a 2002 Tahoe which explains the presence of two wheel sensors in the rear diff. The wheel sensors on each end of the rear differential sits in a hole on each end of the differential housing and secured by a bolt. The 2002 rear end does not have these wheel sensors.
Look under your GMC Yukon rear end and check if you have these sensors on each wheel.

Attachments

Reactions: hot rodder

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
GM used 3 channel and 4 channel ABS.
The 3 channel was 2 in the front and only 1 in the rear.
I don't know when GM changed from 3 to 4 on the big SUVs, it's possible the '04 has 4 and the '02 has 3.
If that's the case, it would be easy to update the '02 to 4 channel because you would have the parts from the old axle.
Looks like I need to correct my post, Looking at the pic that Bel posted, it appears I should have said "you would have the parts from the old axle'.........except for the holes.
Sorry to mis-lead, it isn't easy to change a 3 channel into a 4 channel without the holes for the speed sensors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts