GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my difrential on my 1500 C/K 1995 burb "has left the building" it seems like the pionion shaft has went lose in there and it al ended with a big booom .. "things" came out of the cover and this is what i say when i opend it ..

well the axle is a 10 bolted semifloting w locking diff and iv got 6 nuts on the wheels .. this size of GM axle seems to bee werry common ,, but what will fit inside my axle ? does anybody now what i shall lokk after ? both gears seems to be alrigth so i dosent have to bother about them as it seems now (hasent yet diseble it ) so can somebody give me some clerance in this cloudy mist ?

Åke Of Sweden

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
You need a new carrier. True track sells then for around 425 or you could get a new one from the dealer for around 500 or more D.O.M. Most autoparts stores can help you out too. They usually carry these in stock, just stay away from the cheap Autozone parts. They work great at first then fail when you need them the most. They are relatively easy to replace, but if your going to spend that much why not bust out for a ring and pinion set too just to be safe. If you need any tecdhnical help let me know. This is what I do for a living.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank´s and yes i know i need a new carrier , the reason why i asked as i did was to get a feeling of what other axels that got a fitting carrier , i dident ment to buy some used stuff but theres always some new part to be find cheaper from a stoped rebuild project .. well it ended with that i got me a new diff from eaton (sliped diff) and i has now startded to rebuild the axle , both the gearring and pinion are in great condition . u cant even see any waer at al so i dosent need to change those .. im a experient mecanic so this shoudent be any problem but it is my first atemt in the rear axel work ,, i know in the teory about backlash and how u do it & how it shoud be but i have never done it before ,, but theres always a first time for everything ,,, il get back 2 u if i have any moore questions

here in sweden with my great disconts i payed around $ 760 for a new carrier . bearings,seals , and shims .. the regular not disconted price is way over $1000

now i shall turn over and enter the snowbed under my truck ... it sucks to do things you not absoultly shore about under these contitions byt i hasent gor any other choice ,, the burb is to large to fit my garage ,, i can get it inside but then i cant close the doors and cant move inside so this it the way 2 go

i´l include a pic of both diffs .. il the old one what u call an OPEN diff *LOL* theres seams to be yust a big hole left of the old carrier

HERES A GREAT LINK IF YOU WANNA TRY IT OUT YOUR SELF !! http://www.axleandparts.se/download/bakaxelguide.pdf

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
You never have a big enough garage.

Mine is 17’ X 40’ and its still to small.

Next one I build will be 36’ X 36’, 1296 sq ft with a lift and second floor cat walk.

Good luck, I know about working outside all to well.

PS

Cardboard makes a great surface to work on, insulates you from the cold ground underneath and helps keep parts from disappearing.

An old magnet from a speaker is also handy to keep nuts and bolts from running away. Leave the magnet mounted and you have a nice stable parts tray.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well now the carrier is in the case and i tries to "read" uot how it´s fits GEEEEEE !!! who sad this is a easy thing to read ?? i get the feeling that i dosent really understund the reults ,, i has yust take out the old broke carrier and now installed the new one , the bearrings are new and i used the old shims at a start .. so it´s yust put back in place and then i coulord it with this GM paste + some gear oil , did run it oaround a couple of times by hand but finaly i´l hooked on the drive shaft and started the engine , il let it run for 10 sec and this is the results help me out what shoud i continue with now ??

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BRRRR !!! it´s time to end my song "out in the cold" it´s frezzzing cold here in sweden rigt now .. bellow -14*c ( thats almoust -6000K :) ) and it´s seems that this amnazing yellow cream i add on to the gearwheel is haveing some problems to work in this cold weather but now i have used a hot air gun and it seems to work and if im not deadly wrong this result is perfekt ,,, could any one with knowlage confirme this to me ??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
6F degrees is a little nippy.

As far as the yellow stuff.

That looks bad, but I’m not sure, it looks like there are a couple of messed up teeth on the pinion.

But I could be wrong, how did the pinion look when you had the carrier out?

Anyone else?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i shore hope you are wrong .. i couldent see any damage on it when the carrier was out , not even on the gearring the pinion has some kind of "qax" on it and thats amazing , the car has run 12000 europian miles (120000 km ) look at the picks ,, its hard to see on the picks i know but when i look´t close iv got the feeling that it runs perfekt , and leavs marks on the same spot as i says in the install manual

Attachments

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It is hard to tell from the pics. Check out this site for a step by step instruction to see if you've skipped anything:
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/gears/
Their pic looks similar to yours, although they used less grease.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The easiest way to check it to get a dial indicator with magnetic base. They run about $30 US and they take almost all the guess work out of it. If you are not familiar with them just ask the local parts store. Most places carry them. Also many places rent them for even cheaper. By the looks of the pic you might be a little off but shouldn't be to bad. It's really hard to say without actually being there with my hands on it. wish I could help you out more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my abs/brake lights come after replacin ring/pinion

i have a question since you work on differentials for a living. i have a 04 silverado 2500 with a 6.0. auto 2wd with 3.73 gears. i put bigger tires and i do a lot of towing so i put 4.56 gears. boy that made a hell of a difference. the only proble is that about 10 miles of driving my abs/brake light comes on. i was told i needed to reprogram my computer. i used a hypertech 3 programmer and that corrected my speedo and shift points for maximum power but the light still comes on everytime. it resets when you cycle the key but it always turns on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Usually the programmer you used does the trick as long as it asked for the gear size change. The other thing you might want to check is some vehicles have a sensor built into the diff. if the new ring and pinion are not clearanced right it with trip that light. The only thing I could suggest would be to take it to a dealer and see if they can use a factory computer to see exactly what is setting it off. Usually they don't charge more than 40 to do so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
first, thanks 4 your reply. when i used the programmer, it asked me what gear ratio and I input 4.56. second of all i already when to the dealer and they told me they could only help me up to 4.10 gears since thats what chevys came with. i think im going to call hypertech and see what they can tell me. but thanks again. also, theres no sensor on that rear diff. i tried using different tires sizes and gear ratios on the programmer but it only changes how long it takes to set the light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts