GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am wanting to change my 91 Chevy silverado 1500 over to a posi. I was wondring if anyone knows what the vin code for this is. does anyone know if it would be cheaper to put in a auburn clutch assembly or to just find a posi. how hard is it to find on of these axles in the junkyard and the such. thanks for any advice. also my axle has this stamped on it i was wondering if you can tell me what it means. pdc k227 1

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You didn't mention if you have a 4x4 and if you have a 10 or 12 bolt rear end.

·
1,532 Posts
On my '98, the code for the stock unit is G80. It refers to an Eaton gov-lock "locking" differential. Eaton's website has a description of the unit. I believe GM used that particular unit as the factory option from the late '80's but I'm not sure exactly when.

I've seen the term "posi" used to refer to a lot of different traction aids, from LS to spool to lincoln locker. What exactly are you looking for?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Take a look at this project vehicle: Dieselpage
They swapped the 10 bolt rear end for a larger 14 bolt unit with the Eaton positraction diff.

The original 10-bolt ½-ton rear axle was replaced in late 2004 with a disc brake equipped six-lug 9-1/2" 14-bolt semi-floating rear axle. Randy's Ring & Pinion in Everett, Washington rebuilt our replacement axle using an Eaton Positraction differential, new 3.42 ring & pinion and all new bearings and seals. Other than upgrading the rear driveshaft u-joint to a 1350, this was a bolt-in upgrade that should easily handle the power of a modified Duramax 6600 in this lightweight truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts