GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, Im a newby here. My wife wanted an suv, So we got a 04 lt suburban with the captain chairs in back and all the little goodies. I did not want one, But must admit. I fell in love with it. She rides great! Very comfy. Now for the question- I purchased a pair of smooth rear vent caps for it. I noticed that the originals have holes/vents. So I took it off, and saw real vents in the rear panal. What are these for? By putting on the smoothy's with no holes, will this disturbe or cause any relating problems to anything? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
What vents are you talking about ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The upper corners, above the rear tail lights. They are right behind the rear side windows. There flat black plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
air vents

The upper corners, above the rear tail lights. They are right behind the rear side windows. There flat black plastic.
I believe they are for the flow threw ventilation system, but not sure.

I’m sure someone here will know for sure.

Be patient some guys are only here at night, some only on the weekends. Some know more about something than others.

If the vents are for the ventilation system and are not doing there job you will notice it.

Like the old VW beetles when you close the doors it’s like you close an air chamber.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Im not ready to do anything till at least two weeks. I originally thought they where faux vents. But I decided to look more closley and found out that there are actual vents on the inside of the panels allowing some type of air out of the sub. They sell the smooth vent caps, so I thought there would be no-problem. But now I'm second guessing.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
vents

Thanks, Im not ready to do anything till at least two weeks. I originally thought they where faux vents. But I decided to look more closley and found out that there are actual vents on the inside of the panels allowing some type of air out of the sub. They sell the smooth vent caps, so I thought there would be no-problem. But now I'm second guessing.
They may be hidden vents that you can't see, in the new ones.

Wait for some more replies.

They may have done this mod.

Good luck, with the new Burb

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's true, I have not recieved the new one's yet. We have had it for 2-months now. Traded in my 06 Ltz impala with 12k for this o4 Ltz with 23k. And extended warranty. I thought I was stupid for doing it, But not now. We have three kids, This beast is Awesome. The kids are quiet watching the dvd or there radio in back, and best of all, When im off from work and take it out with the family, I don't need to change all the settings my wife has made. The memory 1/2 is Great! I don't think I'll ever go back.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Interesting to know. I always thought they were faux vents too. Learn something new everyday.:biggrin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to know that I at least brought somthing new to the club, and not a dumb question. :tongue:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went searching on the web tonight for an answer. I found out that the vents are there to allow inside cabin air flow out through the rear when incoming air is coming from the front. I also found out (and noticed when I took them off) that the air that does (if any does) gets dumped behind the rear lights to the the ground. So if I replace with the smooth solid ones, the air volume will still be the same. Now I also came across another thread about bypassing the throttle body mod? Suppose to eleviate the radiator fluid that is routed to the throttle body away back to the radiator. (bypass). Since I live in florida I don't believe I need to keep my fuel and incoming air warm. I'd rather keep it cool.=hp. What do ya think?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yes, ideally you want your mixture as cool as possible within reason. However the coolant helps to serve that purpose, just probably not as well as you, or any of us would like. If you bypass the coolant system there, then the TB is going to act like a heat sink. This will become the one of the hottest parts of the engine, since there is nothing to keep it cool, and draw the heat away.

I would advise against re-routing the coolant away from the TB, it could have adverse effects on other components mounted on the TB. Most electrical sensors don't like excessive heat (IAC,TPS..etc) Not to mention, I believe it would counter act what you're actually looking to accomplish, by over-heating, and radiating that heat to the air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why do you say the TB will act like a heat sink? Is this due to the heat generated by the motor, and the TB absorbing it? Or by the air flow through it that generates a heat build up? I never realized the coolent was there to cool things down. I just assumed it was there for the reason of warming up the air fuel mixture so the engine would have a more optimize emmision.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Why do you say the TB will act like a heat sink? Is this due to the heat generated by the motor, and the TB absorbing it? Or by the air flow through it that generates a heat build up? I never realized the coolent was there to cool things down. I just assumed it was there for the reason of warming up the air fuel mixture so the engine would have a more optimize emmision.
Because it's in contact with the engine. It has two things working against keeping itself cool on it's own without the coolant. One it's bolted directly onto the engine, which generates massive amounts of heat. Second It sits at the top of the engine where all available heat will rise. Even though the fans will push cooler air into the engine compartment, a significant amount of heat will always sit at the top near the TB.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i did this mod on the honda. but i also used a insulated manifold gasket, so that the manifold and t/b is insulated from heat from the eng. doing it this way will do a few things along with getting more power.
it will not want to run right when cold. you will not pass emission (atleast here in ca.) CEL might come on.
my advice unles you have other mods, and/or your manifold is insulated i would leave it alone

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really was not ready to do any mods to the motor yet anyway. Still under warranty. But was curious about this one mod. Thanks for the info guys. I will try to post some pics of the sub before and after the rear vents and lights are done. About two weeks from now.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Mods

I really was not ready to do any mods to the motor yet anyway. Still under warranty. But was curious about this one mod. Thanks for the info guys. I will try to post some pics of the sub before and after the rear vents and lights are done. About two weeks from now.:rolleyes:
Cooling the fuel going into the engine will do more than anything else.

Trying to cool something that was originally made to be at a specific temp. will do little as far as hp gains.

Your right, don’t do any mods. Until the warranty is up. Any Mods. Will void your warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts