GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the muddy and wet weather here in the Northwest, I surely wish to have wipers on my back windows. Has anyone ever tried to design custom wipers for barn doors on the '92 to '99 Suburbans? Maybe someone has a tip, does any standard wiper arms from a different vehicle fit the size of the window in the suburban? I'm thinking the motors could sit inside the doors and the pump / washing fluid tank inside the side piece on the right side of the trunk. Again, has anyone ever tried this?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
AndyD said:
With all the muddy and wet weather here in the Northwest, I surely wish to have wipers on my back windows. Has anyone ever tried to design custom wipers for barn doors on the '92 to '99 Suburbans? Maybe someone has a tip, does any standard wiper arms from a different vehicle fit the size of the window in the suburban? I'm thinking the motors could sit inside the doors and the pump / washing fluid tank inside the side piece on the right side of the trunk. Again, has anyone ever tried this?
Yes rww do come in handy. I use rainX on mine. It keeps the glass crud free 95% of the time. Great for the side glass too.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
How about some sprayer nozzles at the top spraying a fan down the back to rinse off the crud?

mine has a tailgate and has a hose from the front all the way back to the rear wiper to shoot out some bug juice so the pump should be able to handle it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I've often considered this. You'd probably have to look around for a wiper like one on a jeep cherokee or something. My memory tells me that those wipers only go a little over 2/3 of the way across the rear window. But my memory has been wrong before.

I would just keep and eye out for vehicles with rear wipers, that dont have a large sweep area.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have often considered this, I miss the electric window of our 86 with the tail gate. When it got real dirty just roll it down and it would be cleaner.

You have gotten some good advise here already, my only addition to those would be to ask someone who does these things for a living, like a custom body shop guy.

If you want to do it yourself, well look at all the different vehicles that already have them. Then look at your truck, It will at least require driving one hole in each door. So be prepared to fill the hole if what you do doesn’t work.

I would love to help with a project like this but being on the other side of the country it is impossible.

Just remember think it threw, then again, then draw how it should work, then take the door pad off and look to see if it will work.

Then and only then try it. And keep us posted.

PS

Being as close to Calyfornia you may find someone who is willing to do it and actually know what they are doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts