GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Sonoma 4X4 extended cab V6 180,000 miles.

The last I heard (quite-a-while ago) that you should not attempt to run Ethel gas in a vehicle that normally runs Regular gas.
The point being that the Ethel gas would dissolve the varnish left behind by the Regular gas and tend to gunk-up the fuel system.
Like I said, my information is old so don't know if that argument is still valid.
Truck runs well gets 23 MPG on highway.
I am going to be towing a small trailer over a couple mountain passes and figured the extra octane would help.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Premium gas is just fine to run. The only difference is the octane in the 2 blends. I have been running premium gas for several years. I run it because thats what my engine is tuned for. Premium gas is normally run in higher copression engines, or an engine with an advanced tuning. As for the gunk thing and gas blends, thats a myth. If you think you may have any gunk build up, sea foam will help to get rid of it. Also ethenol fuel is fine in a fuel injected engine. Its a carburatored engine that is better to run non ethenol fuel in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2000 Sonoma 4X4 extended cab V6 180,000 miles.

The last I heard (quite-a-while ago) that you should not attempt to run Ethel gas in a vehicle that normally runs Regular gas.
The point being that the Ethel gas would dissolve the varnish left behind by the Regular gas and tend to gunk-up the fuel system.
Like I said, my information is old so don't know if that argument is still valid.
Truck runs well gets 23 MPG on highway.
I am going to be towing a small trailer over a couple mountain passes and figured the extra octane would help.
The old leaded fuel turned into varnish when it setup for 2 yrs or more. It was actually varnish that was caused by several additives in the leaded gas to boost the Horse Power for the leaded fuel engines.
The unleaded fuel came out in 1970 or 1971, and did not have varnish in it, nor does it have varnish in it today. The only bad thing that happens to unleaded gas when it sets up for a year or more it loses it's octane and your truck will not crank. But, you can go to your local auto parts store and buy octane additive and whammo ...when you put it in your tank your truck will Wake up again and is ready to gooooo! Your Owners Manual tells you what Octane you should run in your Truck. Putting in a higher octane gas most likely will not preform as good, or any better and is a waste of money.
I can give you an example. I have a 1991 Canadian made Silverado, 4.3L 5 Speed Std Trans. Factory specs for Fuel is 86 octane. Now, in my area of East Tx I can only find 1 place that carries that paticular gas because it does not have 10% ethanol in it. It cost $ 292.9 per gal, and I get 26 miles per gal. But sometimes I cannot afford to drive 130 miles round trip to get pure unleaded so, i'm forced to get gas with 10% Alcohol and with that gas I only get 17 mpg and it cost $.2.23 per gal. AND, my Truck runs crappy! I advise all of my customers and friends to use the gas reccommened by the Factory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts