GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a remote starter out there on their truck? I'm in the market for one for my Z71 and am curious about brands and ease of installation.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm more interested in a good alarm to power the door locks remotely, but if a remote starter can be added without too much trouble I could pre-cool the burb on those 100+ degree days that the Mojave Desert is famous for. Anybody have suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
Likewise, I'm also looking for the best brand of alarm with remote start, and maybe even the 2-way pager thing. I'm going to have a good bit of goodies in the suburban soon, so I want to make sure I'm covered all the way around, and I don't think door pins and 1 measly shock sensor's gonna do the job, I think I need/want multiple shock sensors, motion detectors, the works.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have a simple Bulldog model in my garage.(I thinks it does power locks and remote start only) Its been sitting in the box for over a year. I want it on the Sierra so maybe I should do a little DIY install. Little solder here, little tie wrap there. Might be fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a simple Bulldog model in my garage.(I thinks it does power locks and remote start only) Its been sitting in the box for over a year. I want it on the Sierra so maybe I should do a little DIY install. Little solder here, little tie wrap there. Might be fun.
Let me know how it goes if you do the install...hope it is fun because I sure would like to have the remote start feature as winter is right around the corner.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I might do it this weekend. So standby for a walk-thru,Woody. :great:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had one installed last December on my 2005 Silverado. I was given a Viper (don't remember the model, but can look it up if anyone is interested) and after looking at the complexity of the installation, I paid a guy who installs these for a living a $100 to do it in his off time. Took about 2 hours to do. It interfaces with the factory alarm and if you step on the brake before turning on the key the engine will die. The range of the remote is much greater than the factory remote unlock key fob. It also comes with a blinking LED and viper stickers. The guy who did the work, installed a very bright blue LED in the plastic cover by the windsheild post on the driver side. That alone is enough to chase someone off, or blind you.

The system works great and there are many ways of setting it up, to turn lights on, honk horns, how long it will run before shutting off, etc..

Just remember that you have to preset the heat or A/C to come on before you turn the truck off, but if you had the rear window defroster on, it will not come back on once the ignition is turned off. Not like my 06 Buick's factory remote start. You can leave the A/C on when you turn it off, but if it should get cold during the night, it senses the outside temp and decides what is needed and will start up with the heat and defrosters on, including the rear window and the mirrors. I just wish it would turn on the heated seats also. It's remote start will work over 500 feet, and from inside buildings without windows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone use a remote starter out there on their truck? I'm in the market for one for my Z71 and am curious about brands and ease of installation.
Remote Starters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had one installed last December on my 2005 Silverado. I was given a Viper (don't remember the model, but can look it up if anyone is interested) and after looking at the complexity of the installation, I paid a guy who installs these for a living a $100 to do it in his off time. Took about 2 hours to do. It interfaces with the factory alarm and if you step on the brake before turning on the key the engine will die. The range of the remote is much greater than the factory remote unlock key fob. It also comes with a blinking LED and viper stickers. The guy who did the work, installed a very bright blue LED in the plastic cover by the windsheild post on the driver side. That alone is enough to chase someone off, or blind you.

The system works great and there are many ways of setting it up, to turn lights on, honk horns, how long it will run before shutting off, etc..

Just remember that you have to preset the heat or A/C to come on before you turn the truck off, but if you had the rear window defroster on, it will not come back on once the ignition is turned off. Not like my 06 Buick's factory remote start. You can leave the A/C on when you turn it off, but if it should get cold during the night, it senses the outside temp and decides what is needed and will start up with the heat and defrosters on, including the rear window and the mirrors. I just wish it would turn on the heated seats also. It's remote start will work over 500 feet, and from inside buildings without windows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts