GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone just cut out the muffler and added exhaust pipe and clamps in its place. Just kinda wondering everyones opinion and any idea what it would sound like. I have a 4.8L.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Probably wouldn't sound all that great, it would definitely be louder but you might lose some backpressure by not having a muffler, thereby reducing performance somewhat.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
If loud is your goal, then that will certainly do it, but like Telorv said, you will lose "some" backpressure & this could move your torque curve UP a certain amount in the RPM band.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've got a NBS with the 5.3L in and I cut the muffler off. I didnt lose that much power. It is loud, but I have heard louder. I dont know how it would sound on a 4.8L you can always cut it out and add an aftermarket one in later, or put the one you have in it now back on if you dont like it.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I would just install a performance muffler. Alot of people think the louder the more power, not true on a basicly stock engine. As the others said most likely you will loose power.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Running straight pipes is not a good idea on the computer controlled vehicles. Not only will you be losing back pressure (thus losing power), you'll be throwing codes left and right. And the factory tune will be off greatly. On a carb'd motor, it was not so bad, but with computers and controls, it is not a great idea.

You'll be better off with just replacing the stock muffler with a Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Borla or other brand. Though, you'll be even more better off with a cat-back exhaust system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input every one! I am not looking for performance as much as just a nice rumble but I certainly don't want to lose any performance either so with that said i think i will just wait and by a catback. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
The cat-back is the way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I ended up doing on mine truck was putting a magna flow on and then my exhaust guy welded a 4"tip right on the other end of muffler and it has a good rumble. The one thing I dont like is it gets raspy sounding when you put you foot in it. My buddy has the 4.8L in his truck and we have the same muffler the one thing he did different was he dumped his over the rear axle and it has a great tone to it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the 4.8 and mine was louder than a 6.0 with a flowmaster 40 series. its pretty loud. the only thing is you lose lots of power

1 - 10 of 10 Posts