GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the accessories from the front of a 1993 TBI 350. The Haynes manual simply says "remove bolts attaching compressor to bracket and lift off".

Well, two of the three bolts attaching "compressor to bracket" have the heads on the engine-side of the compressor and cannot be removed becuase they run into either the valve cover, or the intake manifold. Please tell me that I don't need to remove the intake manifold to take the A/C compressor off!

It appears all of the accessories are on one big "bracket" that could be removed, but of-course, one of the bolts holding the big bracket to the engine is behind/under the A/C compressor!!! how the heck did they assemble these things on the line???

Any insight would be appreciated, i must be overlooking something simple. I know they wouldn't design it to need to remove the intake manifold to remove the A/C compressor.

thanks for all advice!

·
1,457 Posts
If I can remember correctly the bolts are facing front and back and are easy to remove :neutral:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know..mine are definitly wierd. I have a passenger side mounted A/C bracket.
There are three bolts,

one up high attached to a brace rod (easy to get off)

one on the lower passenger side of compressor that must be removed rearward towards the engine, and that hits the valve cover.

And then one on the very bottom that goes through the body of the compressor, also must be removed rearward towards the engine and it hits the intake?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was thinking that. I will try to grab a photo. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ditch the Haynes

First of all you need to ditch the Haynes manual. They aren't worth the paper they are written on. Get your self a Chilton's Manual. It will help you with anything and everything you could ever possibly want to do with your truck. Then, if for some unknown reason the Chilton's doesn't help, get a dremel tool with a cut off wheel. Cut the bolts and remove them. Then you can figure out how to put them in after the compressor is out of your way. I had to do this on my wifes blazer. As it turned out, the bolt heads actually had one flat side the prevented them from turning. Couldn't tell from the angle I was looking at them from. But seriously, If you are looking for a truely helpful manual, get a Chilton's. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
On my 93 there are three bolts that hold the AC unit to the bracket. My Haynes manual clearly shows two of them in a picture. They are bolts with nuts on the backside facing the engine. You seem to describe just the opposite with the intake and valve cover interfering. Sounds like they were replaced incorrectly at some point. If that is the case you will have to cut the bolt heads off and replace the bolts, unless you want to find a way to remove the retaining bracket too. Here is a picture of my compressor that you can see the two upper bolts and I indicate the approximate location of the third.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Unplugged,

those are definitly the same bolts (locations). Maybe I just assumed they had to be removed out the back becuase the compressor pully is in the way of removing them from the front?

I did start removing them from the back and I could swear the bolt moved out towards the engine...but maybe I was only loosening the nut? Maybe I'm nuts?? Now I can't wait to get home and look.

by the way....how would I pull those longs bolts out the front...wouldn't they hit the compressor pulley?

thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unplugged, I checked my 89 and the bolts are exactly as you describe, removed from the front.

However, I recheck my 93 and the bolts are definitly the other way, and it looks factory???? Becuase there are welded square nuts on the front of the accessory bracket that the A/C compressor bolts thread through

I've tried to attach two pics one of the bolt head at the rear of the compressor and one of the welded square nuts on the front of the accessory bracket.

The only way I was able to remove the compressor on the 93 was to remove the entire accessory bracket becuase the bolts pictured would've hit the intake manifold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts