GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Silverado Z71.
I want to put a new sound system. What speakers will fit with no mods and what would be the best fitting radio..also want a Amp.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would also like to know what sizes are in the doors (ExCab).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey man I have a 07 silverado classic i just put 2 12in mtx thunders under my seats. so i know you can put up to 12's as far as fitting but i'd recomment not getting speaker that require to much air space. now bout the radio there are kits for your radio's i kept my factory cd/tape player. if that's what you'd think bout doing then you gonna have to go to a music dealer and get you a plug that connects to your speaker wires and converts it to patch cords. and you would have to run your remote from your deck to any power cable that is 12 volts costant when running and turns off with your ignition.(don't remember what fuse i used for mine) now as far as an amp i have a zapco. there are many choices you can choose from. me i'd prefer a zapco or a memphis. well good luck with the project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar question. My truck is a 2001 GMC 2500 HD Extended Cab. I'm looking to replace the stock speakers.
I've looked on Crutchfields' website, you can find all the sizes there.
My question is: How difficult is it to replace the speakers? Do I need special tools? Or, do the speaker grilles in the doors just "pop" out?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I want to put a new sound system. What speakers will fit with no mods and what would be the best fitting radio..also want a Amp.
If you have a cd/cassete player already dont even bother changing your head unit because it is such a pain in the a** to wire the deck because you need a harness which will put you down about 150 cdn, and you have to keep your stock deck in the back seat and run a fairly large harness to it. Why? well because GM decided to let the radio control your airbags, ABS, door chimes, light chime, etc.. and also its not just for silverados its used for j bodys as well and so the wiring can get confusing as if u are wirirng a j body you need to connect a whole new set of cables and it gets messy. Also if you have a single or ext. cab its another pain because youll have extra cable and cant cut it!!

edit: and to the guy who asked for the stock speakers, well if you dont change your deck/head unit then all your doing is wasting money because they will sound the same if nto worse because your stock deck sends bass to all speakers, as a aftermarket deck sends it to the woofers. and sends the quality sound to the other speakers

·
Registered
136 Posts
the best fitting radio is the kenwood double din screen around $800 bucks

and 6-1/2in speakers in the front doors
You can look at speakers at www.crutchfield.com
you can also fit 4 8" subs under the back seat of a ext cab

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Use the Crutchfeild link above for any help in this project.

They will tell you what fits where, and anything else you need.

Like a harness coupler or adapter or what ever it is called. I don’t believe you have to change any harness or anything else with an adapter plug for what ever radio you buy.

PS

Unless you buy something that cost more than what the original radio cost when the truck was new, you just devalued they vehicle.

It may sound better but they are going to devalue the vehicle by the difference in price between the new one and the original one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts