GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As summer has hit us full swing, I think back to what I was doing this time last summer.

My dashboard had cracked severely, and it was getting on my nerves. So I got a wild hair
up my butt one Saturday morning and made a drive out to a junk yard that had several
trucks with dashboards in decent condition (at least they weren't cracked)

Took my about 2 hours to figure out how to pull the junk yard dash out, but I like doing it
this way, because I can learn how to do it on my truck.
Little did I realize how easy it is to remove a dashboard in a truck that has no windshield
or steering wheel.

To sum up the story, 10 hours later after I get the idea to replace my dash, I finished
it, put some armorall on it and it's good to go.

Below are the progressive pictures.
DSC00283.JPG DSC00279.JPG DSC00285.JPG DSC00287.JPG DSC00288.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Looks good! So what else have you done to your truck? Lets keep the project going! LOL.:great:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am a Mason, and my buddy is a tattoo artist and pin stripe artist. So I think my next project is to have him pin stripe the Masonic square and compass on the hood.

And down the road I plan to chrome it out, handles, rocker panels, wind visors etc.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Good to meet another brother. I will PM you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Looks good man.... FYI Chromed out, thats a good idea :great:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, and one day I will chrome out the engine. But currently I have the 305, so I'm in the market to find a good 350 for that year and rebuild it and make it look nice then drop it in.

Side note: Just replaced the TCC Regulator valve in the transmission this past weekend, I was having a hard shift from 1st to 2nd and was getting the P1870 code. It's one heck of a job.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice job on the dash, I remember my first dash, it was intimidating on a 1976 Thunderbird, one of my first jobs at the dealer, I'm sure I lost on that one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron,
I tell you what, I kept telling myself "I'm never doing this again", but it got to the point of no return. Once the old one was out I had to finish the job, I guess I could have driven around with no dash, but then I wouldn't be able to listen to my tunes.

Funny story, I just ordered a catalog on LMC Trucks and they have plastic dash cover replacements that fit right on top of the existing dash....wish I knew that last summer LOL

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
When you said cracked I was thinking small cracks....that logs like someone threw a bowling ball at your dash! Iam having some of my dash bezels hydro dipped right now and was considering the dash.....but now after looking at your that might be a pain to hydro dip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you said cracked I was thinking small cracks....that logs like someone threw a bowling ball at your dash! Iam having some of my dash bezels hydro dipped right now and was considering the dash.....but now after looking at your that might be a pain to hydro dip.
To be honest with you, even though many thought I was speaking in tongues when I was replacing this dash, and I kept saying to myself "I will never do this again". Honestly, the cracks in that dash were eating away at me, and I would do it again even though it was a difficult job.
As far as getting your dash dipped, my recommendation is pull one from a junk yard, or at least attempt it first and see if it will be worth it.
The thing with these dashes is it's not like it's just a cover, it has an entire frame built into it. And if you do it, you'll eventually get to a point of no return as I did. :neutral:
And re-aligning the air ducts while putting the dash back in will make you hate life, especially when you do it alone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been looking online for a dashboard since I have holes in mine and all I am finding is just the front driver side panel and I need the complete dash, my next plan is to visit the salvage yards. what would be the best way to paint it just in case it does not match original?

·
Registered
29 Posts
my dash did the exact same thing. I epoxied the hell out of it, and then threw a carpet covering on top. Maybe I'll fix it the right way someday, but today is not that day

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been looking online for a dashboard since I have holes in mine and all I am finding is just the front driver side panel and I need the complete dash, my next plan is to visit the salvage yards. what would be the best way to paint it just in case it does not match original?
Creed,
You can go to www.lmctruck.com and get a catalog for all the replacement parts for your truck. They have dash paint as well, or you could go all out and spend $1,000 on a new dash. But I would recommend doing what I did and going to a junk yard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts