GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 2500HD Crew CAB

10 years ago I installed a avalanche roof rack kit from the dealer on my crew cab 2500HD.
being the truck has a 6" lift kit and is sitting on 40s I barely ever seen the roof. The instructions did not say anything about weatherstripping or sealer or anything.

Well now my truck has 3"-6" rust/ holes on the roof at ever mounting bolt/rivet hole.

I thought about fiberglass, patch weld, even 3' long x 3" wide sheet metal plates. all of which will take a lot of time and never look right.
So I decided I I was going to pull the skin off and replace it. I got busy at other work so I figured I would go see what a body show would charge. The body shop told cutting the roof off at the posts is less work. I have in the past cut 3 camaro roofs off and weld t-top roofs on so it cant be that hard for me. I have watched ayou tube video of a guy replacing the skin on a truck. IT does seem like more work than cutting at the posts. plus as a bonus I could drop a roll cage in while Im at it.

Any one here ever cut a roof off or pull the skin off a truck? Any problems?

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,853 Posts
I don’t think the regulars here have been that adventurous. From the shows I’ve seen on the car channel (so that makes me an expert - NOT), and from your own experience, over sizing the patch, patience, and a steady hand sees to be the common theme.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
16,397 Posts
Greg is right, years ago lots of cuts cut off the room and replaced it with an other cut off roof, heck we even lowered the roofs by cutting them off.
But today with all the safety requirements, most shops will refuse to do it.

I quests my question, when I read you opening post, is why not just repair the holes in the existing roof?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts