GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck finally passed 150,000 miles and it's starting to show, or sound. This past December I put new wheels and tires on it then took it for an alignment. The alignment shop told me my front bearings/hubs were just starting to come loose. A couple of months ago it started making some nasty screeching noises that persist as long it's rolling. It's time to replace my bearings. I plan on replacing the brake pads, rotors and wheel bearings.

My question is, since I'll have the wheel/brake/suspension area torn down, is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Tie rod ends, any bushings, anything else I should replace along with the rotors or bearings?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[MENTION=52149]Lerch98[/MENTION] Some good info there! When I do this, I'll be going down to my dad's place for a long weekend. He's retired and has a shop and just about every tool you can think of. I'll take some pics as the project progresses. And I will definitely shop around for parts. I don't plan on doing this for super cheap. I like to do a lot of things myself (build my own computers, do my own home repairs, etc) and I learned long ago - buy cheap, buy twice.

· Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the wheel bearings built into the rotor on your 2001? My 1998 Chevy truck the bearings were in the rotor. I know on the NNBS trucks the bearings are in the hub and are much more difficult to replace.

I just checked and the 2WD model truck in the NBS do not have the bearings built into the rotor. I did note that you do not have to take apart the suspension to change the wheel bearings.

That I don't know; I haven't researched that far yet. I do know that I plan on replacing just about anything in the wheel/suspension area that has to do with the rolling of the truck: rotors, hubs, bearings, etc.

· Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any more advice on this before I get started? I am looking to do this about 3 weeks from now and I need to order parts this week to allow time for them to arrive. Any tips/tricks for the rear bearings? From I have been seeing, do I need new bearing seals for the rear or do most rear bearings come with new seals? Also, what are some good places to guy from? So far, I have just been comparing prices between Auto Zone and O'Rileys. All Auto Zone has Duralast and Timken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.