GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,446 Posts
Alex, don't forget, we are still having the annual seasonal flu along with this virus.

I'm not saying you had one, or the other, I don't know; all I know, is that most Canadians with flu/virus symptoms do not have COVID 19 when tested.
I'm sure it's similar in the US, still a lot of folks getting the old fashion flu.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
90 Posts
Alex you have a good point. A coworker of mine came down with an awful flu that they eventually deemed pneumonia. It hit him hard and he lost about 20 pounds. So like you, I wonder if that was part of what was going to be a tough season, or if SARS-Cov-2 has been here longer than we think

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think the difference between the seaonal flu and COVID-19 is that COVID-19 causes your lungs to fill with fluid which the typical seasonal flu does not.

So about these N95 facemasks and Respirators..... So all over the news the are talking about only using the masks if you have COVID-19, While I completely understand this as you are breathing out or coughing the mask should catch what ever it is going catch and help other people from getting sick.

What I don't understand is that if you are not sick, you still have to breath, so what "mask" does someone wear to protect themselves from people that are sick? Are there no masks or respirators for people that are not sick that will prevent the germs from entering their mouth or nose when breathing? All this mis information from people is sickening itself.

And this 6ft rule..... again I get it, but when someone sneezes the germs atomize so how far can the germs really travel? I am going to make an educated guess that it is allot more than 6 feet. It could be 5 miles. maybe 10 miles if it is atomized......

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
90 Posts
RAYVOY
You are right, this hasn't peaked yet but its slated to peak this week or next based on models, as fallible as those can be... It seems to be acting along roughly the same season as flu season. That's why there is concern for the southern hemisphere to be hit harder next, and a possible recurrence in the north.

Also, like you said, in the past, we have been going about our business every flu season, shaking hands, hugging and whatnot. But we also have the vaccine. So, in theory, 61k dead in 2017-2018 is 40-60% of what it could have been without a vaccine.

So I imagine that in lieu of a vaccine for this Covid, we are offsetting the lack of vaccine with self quarantine.

If you went in for surgery and they said you had a 98% of survival, would you be nervous about your chances?

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
90 Posts
I think the difference between the seaonal flu and COVID-19 is that COVID-19 causes your lungs to fill with fluid which the typical seasonal flu does not.

So about these N95 facemasks and Respirators..... So all over the news the are talking about only using the masks if you have COVID-19, While I completely understand this as you are breathing out or coughing the mask should catch what ever it is going catch and help other people from getting sick.

What I don't understand is that if you are not sick, you still have to breath, so what "mask" does someone wear to protect themselves from people that are sick? Are there no masks or respirators for people that are not sick that will prevent the germs from entering their mouth or nose when breathing? All this mis information from people is sickening itself.

And this 6ft rule..... again I get it, but when someone sneezes the germs atomize so how far can the germs really travel? I am going to make an educated guess that it is allot more than 6 feet. It could be 5 miles. maybe 10 miles if it is atomized......
Panthers

Make no mistake. This is not a flu. We only compare it to flu in terms of spread ability and number of deaths. It is actually a version of SARS which causes pneumonia like symptoms.

I imagine that if everyone were able to wear a mask or even a bandana over thier nose and mouth, that would be two layers of protection between each person (4 really because N95's are double layered and even a folded up bandana is).

Add gloves to that to protect your hands from infected surfaces like doorknobs. And dont touch your face or your food with your gloved hand.

Regular disinfecting doorknobs and other common-touch surfaces would also go a long way toward helping.

Something like 27 feet is how far these droplets can carry, as I've read. 6 feet is not a bad start if both parties have masks and some sort of glove on. Thats pretty darn good protection, actually.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
90 Posts
When this virus was first discovered it was denoted as SARS-Cov-2. The second Corona virus that causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. CoVid19 stands for Corona Virus Disease of 2019.

·
Registered
13,446 Posts
Guys my opinion on the masks are like @PantheraUncia , the masks NEED to be worn by the sick to keep the droplets from spreading; but I can also agree with @ThundahBeagle that if you wear the mask it keeps droplets from entering your mouth; but we still have the eyes to worry about.
A full face masked used when operating a grander would be best for healthy people, in my opinion.
Panther, to answer the distance question, I was in line at Costco yesterday with the wind blowing in my face, thinking someone coughing at the front of this line is going to contaminate everyone in line.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra Z71
90 Posts
As RoyVay said, however the wind blows could make all the difference.

My solution? Everyone wear motorcycle helmets with CB and FRS comms built in.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts