GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im kinda bummed, haven't loaded pics yet but its lookin like imminent failure. Has or rather are there any aftermarket fixes . Thanks ahead

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes . . thanks for reply I kinda figured. The expense of a new frame is not happening but I already fabbed up a reinforcement temp repair. If it buys me a couple years I'll be happy. Will post pics when done.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
It's a massive job, But silerado002 is right on target. You can't weld rust and the only way to fix it is to jack up the body and find a good replacement. But I believe you have to buy another truck in order to do this, which I think would defeat the purpose of your situation. Wish I could be more helpful. I often have to wonder why states like New York who put sulfuric like acid down on the roads for ice removal . But people who buy a car or truck for $50K, 60K or $75.000 dollars should have a chance to save your car.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Just a thought, Rdwardo, that bottom steel plate is helpful but the strength in that frame is the verticle plate part not the horizontal part. Its a u channel turned on its side and the side piece needs a plate welded on it for verticle support. The bottom piece you bolted on will provide support for the crossmember but will not support the body as it can still colapse.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a thought, Rdwardo, that bottom steel plate is helpful but the strength in that frame is the verticle plate part not the horizontal part. Its a u channel turned on its side and the side piece needs a plate welded on it for verticle support. The bottom piece you bolted on will provide support for the crossmember but will not support the body as it can still colapse.
Yes absolutely , the truck is used for short jaunts primarily as winter beater property vehicle and like I said I'm just buying some time. But again thanks for input . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts