GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my heads back from being worked yesterday. I popped them on the block, and started putting the rockers back in place. A few of the bolts went in with some resistance, but I figured it was fine. My mistake, I should have chased the threads first. Anyway, one of the bolts snapped in the head. Once that happened I got to thinking, I wasn't really applying that much torque. So I figured maybe the bolts are weak:confused:. As I was taking them back out, another snapped, and a third came out more bound up than when it went in.
obviously I really need to chase, and clean these threads. But my question is has anyone heard of rocker bolts becoming weak with age? To my knowledge these are the original bolts, and they've never been removed before. So it's unlikely they were reinstalled and over torqued at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Never heard of it, but then STML can cause some problems.

I like running bolts under the wire wheel on my bench grinder when doing things like this.

As far as the bolt holes run a tap threw them and then blow them out with compressed air.

First get the broken bolts out. Now that’s the fun part.

Good luck, I hate braking bolts, studs.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never heard of it, but then STML can cause some problems.

I like running bolts under the wire wheel on my bench grinder when doing things like this.

As far as the bolt holes run a tap threw them and then blow them out with compressed air.

First get the broken bolts out. Now that’s the fun part.

Good luck, I hate braking bolts, studs.
Something tells me this is going to be a bigger project than I'd like.
I can only find the bolts at parts america, and their 4.59 each. That's little over $70 for all of them. C'mon, they're just freaking bolts!! That doesn't even include the balls. To get both bolts, and balls, it's almost $100:confused::confused:
It's not even like these are made of grade 8 steel, not even grade 5! These people think they're selling gold here. It's cheaper to buy a stud kit, but then I need to get new rockers to fit those studs. At that point I may as well get roller rockers.

(Jamie, I know what you're thinking, but this was not some part of an evil plan. But it could work out that way.):great:

Call me crazy, but I don't think it will be any cheaper if I go to a dealer either. I was hoping to avoid spending more $$, I figured spending more time, but I thought I was done with the cash apsect.

The wife is "b**ching" that we should have just bought a new vehicle.
Big fun is sure to ensue.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Just replace those you broke, clean all the others, buy one extra just incase.

Sounds funny that they are braking, unless the thing overheated real bad at some point.

Good luck, I hate it when things brake.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I broke one on my firebird back in 01, but it was while I was driving, not installing. I was glad it happened when I was driving it on the street and not at the drag strip where I had been the day before. You might check with a local engine re-builder. The one here in Dallas gave me a replacement for free. I did end up buying a set of ARP's before I re-assembled the heads, but if your budget won't allow that, do what you can.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
with my uncle's GMC 1 ton w/the 454 dually rebuild, he broke one of the rod bolts...they were apparently either weakened somehow, or being underwater for 4 weeks weakened them. The motor only had something like 60K on it, but Katrina will sure f*ck a motor/truck up....

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Something tells me this is going to be a bigger project than I'd like.
I can only find the bolts at parts america, and their 4.59 each. That's little over $70 for all of them. C'mon, they're just freaking bolts!! That doesn't even include the balls. To get both bolts, and balls, it's almost $100:confused::confused:
It's not even like these are made of grade 8 steel, not even grade 5! These people think they're selling gold here. It's cheaper to buy a stud kit, but then I need to get new rockers to fit those studs. At that point I may as well get roller rockers.

(Jamie, I know what you're thinking, but this was not some part of an evil plan. But it could work out that way.):great:

Call me crazy, but I don't think it will be any cheaper if I go to a dealer either. I was hoping to avoid spending more $$, I figured spending more time, but I thought I was done with the cash apsect.

The wife is "b**ching" that we should have just bought a new vehicle.
Big fun is sure to ensue.
Your on your own on this one you've done gone and P.O.'d the wife now! :he: .
And as to your question Roller..roller...roller...roller..ur uhm excuse me. Yes I
Think you should change all studs now unfortunately do not compromise the whole engine (you know what will happen if they shear during operation) I know there expensive but it not worth the alternative??? I know speed shops make a killing on this stuff(try brand name on e-bay?)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be my luck to throw it all back together, just to have a couple bolts snap as the engine cranks for the first time. I'm going to replace them all, but I just need to get the wife on board with the rollers. I'll compromise, and just go roller tip, instead of full rollers.:smile:
Some how, I doubt she'll see that as a compromise though.

But this needs to be my last expense before getting it back on the road, otherwise the burb will be branded a money pit, and I'll never hear the end of it.
Wish me luck with that part

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
It would be my luck to throw it all back together, just to have a couple bolts snap as the engine cranks for the first time. I'm going to replace them all, but I just need to get the wife on board with the rollers. I'll compromise, and just go roller tip, instead of full rollers.:smile:
Some how, I doubt she'll see that as a compromise though.

But this needs to be my last expense before getting it back on the road, otherwise the burb will be branded a money pit, and I'll never hear the end of it.
Wish me luck with that part
Ya I was just teasing. Your right replace just bolts and roller tips. Get it back up and running and save face at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts