GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's i was starting to remove my panels off my 2008 silverado nnbs today and came to a few problems. I tried heating the panels up with a blow drier for a while to try to get most the adhesive to come off before i pull them off. Well it worked some but not as much as i hoped! I ended up taking all 4 of them off my doors from each side and finished getting the adhesive off the back door's with some adhesive remover but took a good bit! Afterwards i waxed and buffed the sections where they were to make it look better and helped couldn;t tell they were even there! Well i was wondering if anyone knows a better way of getting the adhesive off the driver and passenger sides like something better than adhesive remover or different techniques because this was a time consuming process just doing the 2 back doors today? Help will be much appreciated since i will try to remove the rest tomorrow and take some pics! Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
RSC, Most of the people who have posted here have found an "eraser wheel" to work the best. It's available at auto parts stores & you chuck it up in a die grinder or a drill.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
RSC, Most of the people who have posted here have found an "eraser wheel" to work the best. It's available at auto parts stores & you chuck it up in a die grinder or a drill.
x2 on the eraser wheel.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i might give that a try but i might just use some elbow grease might take a few hours but the job will be done today just glad its a one time deal ha thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
X3, eraser wheel. I found a 3M brand and it worked very well. Make sure you wash the area with soapy hot water first to get any dirt off so you don't scratch your paint.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Also take your time, go slow and don't apply to much pressure when using the wheel.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
about how much does one cost and where can i get one at autozone? i almost finished the driver side today but ran out of adhesive remover so will probably hold off until monday or so and get the wheel to finish that side and passenger front.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I think I paid about $10-$12 dollars for my 3M eraser wheel. Try to find a auto parts store that sells alot of auto body supplies, like paint, primer, sandpaper etc...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks man. I have been busy i'll finish up on it tomorrow and get it cleaned up! I am selling my cooper stt's i have on my truck right now tomorrow and putting some nitto terra grapplers on so i will post pic's tomorrow so i guess you guy's will see both ha!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i didn't get around to quite finish the panels i had to get my cooper stt's sold to a guy and also installed my nitto terra grapplers and got them balanced. I found out that one of my sensors went out so i have to go by my dealership and pick one up and get it installed. Also the used tires i bought one is beginning to leak i believe it had a patch on it. Is there anyway they can just repatch it and hope it helps? Then i also i have to go to get inner tie rod boots since they are both ripped and get them on sometime and hopefully get around to getting the rest of the adhesive off tomorrow just have allot to do. Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Your leak can be re-patched but you'll have to dismount the tire again. You could have a plug put in it, but they are not as good & more of a temporary fix & people don't trust them at speed.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah man the thing is i couldnt find a hole on the outside i sprayed the whole tire with some water and it never bubbled up at all so no sign of a hole for some reason. I will tell the guy's who mounted them today that i need a patch on my tire and they are also installing a new sensor for no charge but i gotta pay for one at my dealership though. I believe its the tire that has the patch inside the tire but looked kinda old. Would i have to balance the tire if i take it off or what?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
If you can't find a leak around the tread or sidewall, then try spraying soapy water around the bead. Maybe that's where it's leaking, or maybe the wheel is leaking the air. Spray the entire wheel if you can't find a leak in the tire tread, sidewall or bead. If you just got them mounted today & aired them up & it's already flat, then it must be a fast leak & should be easy to find it. If you can't find a leak then don't have them break it down again. Maybe the vs core was leaking.
As far as re-balancing; If you do have to break it down to have it patched you should mark exactly where the tire is positioned on the rim & then re-mount it in exactly the same position & your balance should be fine.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks man ill just get it aired up and take it too get looked at and hopefully can be fixed and patched. I really dont need these tires but for a few months until i get new tires so hopefully they will last ha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts