GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Silverado HD (gas). I have ordered a bed rack in order to install a rooftop tent. However, the bed rack is delayed and I have a trip planned in September. I am looking at the possibility of put the tent on the roof. I cannot find rooftop weight limits anywhere for a Silverado. The tent weighs just under 200 pounds. Is there any way the roof of a Silverado can hold that amount of weight? If so, any recommendations for roof racks? Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
2,098 Posts
I have a 2021 Silverado HD (gas). I have ordered a bed rack in order to install a rooftop tent. However, the bed rack is delayed and I have a trip planned in September. I am looking at the possibility of put the tent on the roof. I cannot find rooftop weight limits anywhere for a Silverado. The tent weighs just under 200 pounds. Is there any way the roof of a Silverado can hold that amount of weight? If so, any recommendations for roof racks? Thanks.
I'm assuming you were getting a fancy tent-specific rack. Why not buy a utility rack in the interim and sell it when the real rack comes in? Worst case, you need some U-bolts and lumber to make the ribs the right spacing for the tent.

Also, what tent did you get? Got a link to it online?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you were getting a fancy tent-specific rack. Why not buy a utility rack in the interim and sell it when the real rack comes in? Worst case, you need some U-bolts and lumber to make the ribs the right spacing for the tent.

Also, what tent did you get? Got a link to it online?
Here is the tent: 5 Person "Elite" Roof Top Tent with Annex Room

As for building a rack, I'm not exactly handy. I would be terrified that the whole system would fall apart somewhere between GA and the Grand Canyon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts