GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading some of your posts and it seems that everyone likes the Rough Country leveling kits. My question is which kit are you guys always raving about. I did some research and I found the Strut extension leveling kit, it is $69.99. Is this the right kit, it just seems kinda low price. Which kit is everyone using and what size lift would be best for my truck? I have a 2008 Silverado 1500, with stock 17" alloy wheels.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I'd go with a ReadyLift leveling kit. RoughCountry has a past history of qualitly and engineering issues.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know anything about Rough Country, but I've heard things about their lack of reliability. I just ordered a Truxxx leveling kit and it should be arriving any day now, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I only paid $110 for it so we will see! I was going to go with Readylift, but an extra $100 isn't easy for a struggling college student to spare lol

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
We understand the struggling student part!:glasses:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm certainly no fan of Rough Country's, but their leveling kit is fine. It's cheap, easy to install, and I've heard of zero quality issues with them. It's just a spacer after all. IMO, there's absolutely no need to spend a bunch of money on a leveling kit becuase they all accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have to agree with Blackout07. I've been researching leveling kits vs. lift kits for some time now trying to decide what to do with my '11 Silverado. I just hate the nose down look and feel. I was concerned regarding Rough Country's Leveling kit spacer construction but i found they are made of a fibergalss reinforced hard polymer similar to carbon fiber knife handles, very strong (there is another post in the forum regarding this). I called rough country to find out what they were actually made of also, just to see if the stories meshed. All in all, like Blackout said, its just a spacer. Ease of Installation sold it for me. No removal of the coil-over assembly.

Anyway, i pulled the trigger and purchased the leveling kit directly from Rough Country for $65. It arrives tomorrow. I'll update with install and before/after pics when i get it installed, if you would like to see it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree with Blackout07. I've been researching leveling kits vs. lift kits for some time now trying to decide what to do with my '11 Silverado. I just hate the nose down look and feel. I was concerned regarding Rough Country's Leveling kit spacer construction but i found they are made of a fibergalss reinforced hard polymer similar to carbon fiber knife handles, very strong (there is another post in the forum regarding this). I called rough country to find out what they were actually made of also, just to see if the stories meshed. All in all, like Blackout said, its just a spacer. Ease of Installation sold it for me. No removal of the coil-over assembly.

Anyway, i pulled the trigger and purchased the leveling kit directly from Rough Country for $65. It arrives tomorrow. I'll update with install and before/after pics when i get it installed, if you would like to see it.

Thanks!

Yes please update with pics, that would be great. I would love to see it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit

Got the kit installed last night. Took little over an hour for both sides. Didn't follow the directions supplied by Rough COuntry at all. Too many unnecessay steps and i am always leary about jacking with the front ball joints. Just dont like it. So....I put the truck up on stands, removed both front tires. Then loosened the sway bar bolts on both sides, leaving the nut on by a few threads. Removed the bolts and clips on the lower strut assembly from the lower control arm. After the strut was free, just pushed down on the rotor whil inserting the spacers form the back side. Took a little finaling with a pry bar to line everything up, but was pretty easy to do. Torqued everything back up to 37/ft lbs and lug nuts to 140/ft lbs. Have absolutely no difference in ride at all and definitely feel like i am a lot higher in the truck. I took before and after measurements from tire to wheel well (no pictures of that, sorry). Before was about 5 7/8 on both sides. Now its sitting at 7 13/16. So its almost a full 2 inches. Definitely looks better. I will be getting it realigned soon. WHat do you think?

BEFORE:
2011-09-22_17-37-27_710.jpg 2011-09-22_17-37-58_481.jpg

AFTER:
2011-09-23_10-20-31_511.jpg 2011-09-23_10-20-54_781.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ive got the rough country kit on my truck, no complaint here, and its very easy to install

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you check the torque on them often or did you only do it once after install around 500 mile mark?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious which version you all purchased- I'm seeing options for Non-Aluminum Control Bars and Aluminum Control Bars.
Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just curious which version you all purchased- I'm seeing options for Non-Aluminum Control Bars and Aluminum Control Bars.
Thanks!
Yea I am wondering the same thing. Which is preferred? I have no idea when it comes to stuff like this! :neutral:

·
Registered
14 Posts
One is for trucks with cast steel LCA's and the other is for trucks with aluminum LCA's.
Blackout07 is correct. There are two versions for chevys: Aluminum and non-aluminum lower control arm kits. You need to know what your truck has. Most, but not all, chevys have cast lower control arms (non-aluminum) but you still need to check to be sure before ordering. If you are unsure, contact your dealer or a mechanic to distinguish between the two.. Better to be safe than sorry. Mine were cast (non-aluminum) so thats the kit i ordered. Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts