GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 91 burb has been running pretty good.

I just came back from a two week vacation. My other two cars are parked inside. While I was gone it was around 32 degrees outside. Current weather is in the 50's.

Anyway, I took her out for a spin tonight. I didn't notice at first, but mid pedal, (slight acceleration) I thought I felt a little hesitation.
After driving and warming up a bit, I felt some bucking and hesitation when trying to accelerate. I stopped at a gas station and put in about 14 gallons of Super.
Still rode rough for awhile, but we were making short trips and stopping (shopping for a mattress).

I was a bit concerned. On the way home it started to drive a little better. I tried some hard acceleration, and it seemed to buck or hesitate a second before accelerating. As I got closer to home some of these symptoms seem to go away.

In any case, should I be concerned? Or do you think a longer trip to "burn some of the carbons" out of the Burban would probably fix the problem?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
This can be a problem for those of us who have trucks we only use once in a while and in humid environments. My yard plow gets used primarily after snow storms, and when doing fencing in the spring around the farm.

I just changed the air filter in it because the truck kept flooding out, the thing was so bad I couldn’t even see threw the air filter even putting it in front of one of my 500 watt shop lights.

Getting back to humidity and little use.

Distributors can collect humidity and corrode the contacts. This can cause corrosion. But that is more evident at idle though.

Carbon build up is usually caused by short trips, little or no highway speeds. Another problem for my yard plow truck. I don’t think the thing has seen second gear for more than a few minutes a month.

You can try burning the gunk out. Carbon by reving the motor to red line and if it is blowing black smoke out the exhaust then that is a possibility.

Check under the distributer cap for corrotion. Make sure all plug wires are intact and connections are tight.

Check fuel and air filter, visually inspect air filter. The fuel filter if it hasn’t been changed in the last year, change it.

Hope this is of some help and hasn’t confused you even more.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You might even try adding a bottle of HEET or fuel additive as i have had those similar symptoms once upon a time long ago and it just turned out to be water in the fuel that could have accumilated with the temperature change and condensation in the tank. That's whay they always reccomend you keep your tank full during the winter but by trying the HEET it would be one thing you can rule out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This can be a problem for those of us who have trucks we only use once in a while and in humid environments. My yard plow gets used primarily after snow storms, and when doing fencing in the spring around the farm.

I just changed the air filter in it because the truck kept flooding out, the thing was so bad I couldn’t even see threw the air filter even putting it in front of one of my 500 watt shop lights.

Getting back to humidity and little use.

Distributors can collect humidity and corrode the contacts. This can cause corrosion. But that is more evident at idle though.

Carbon build up is usually caused by short trips, little or no highway speeds. Another problem for my yard plow truck. I don’t think the thing has seen second gear for more than a few minutes a month.

You can try burning the gunk out. Carbon by reving the motor to red line and if it is blowing black smoke out the exhaust then that is a possibility.

Check under the distributer cap for corrotion. Make sure all plug wires are intact and connections are tight.

Check fuel and air filter, visually inspect air filter. The fuel filter if it hasn’t been changed in the last year, change it.

Hope this is of some help and hasn’t confused you even more.

Thanks that was pretty helpful. A full tune was done a couple of years ago, so I think the distributor was replaced, but I'll check.

The fuel filter I have no idea when that was done, so I'll probably buy that part today, and go look for a bottle of HEET. The tank was a little low when I was gone.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah, I've had them run rough after they sit still for too long. Just get the condense out the tank and it might run better.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ran an errand today and the Burb ran just fine. No hiccups at all.

I went ahead and bought a fuel filter, just because I have no idea when (if) it's been replaced at all.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
mine was doin that for a little while too.... I'd step on the pedal and nothing would be there for a second or two. It would eventually catch and I could go. I figured out that my main wire from the center of the distributor to the coil was not getting a good connection so i replaced all of the wires with Taylor wires just to be sure... never had a problem since

1 - 7 of 7 Posts