GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get ahead of my Aug. inspection...

What am I looking at here, adding a ton of Bondo? Welding? Some sorta kit?

Driver side rear door. ^

Where driver side rear step used to bolt in. ^

Passenger side rear door frame. ^

Where passenger side rear step used to bolt in. ^

There’s a whole the size of my fist under the Gorilla tape, on passenger side rear.

Engine and trans were replaced awhile ago. Everything aside from rust has been kept up with. Dang PA brine.

New gas tank, new rear bumper, new battery, etc.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
The only proper repair, is to cut out the rust, and install new metal. These parts can be bought in sections, or like for the door, it may be cheaper replacing it with one from the junk yard, but stay close to the same year for fitment. As for bondo, no, no and no. Bondo is only a filler for low spots after a repair, to be used in a very thin layer. All rust must be removed or it will just come back. There are some very good rust treatment chemicals (like ospho) that treat metals after the rust is removed ( buffed off) where the rust is only surface rust.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Might be faster and economical to get a roller ( no engine/tranny) if you can find one from the south.
That's a lot of work to diy. But if you have time, go for it. Follow @kennythewelder on the doors.
You can get replacement rocker panels below the door.

Reactions: kennythewelder

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only proper repair, is to cut out the rust, and install new metal. These parts can be bought in sections, or like for the door, it may be cheaper replacing it with one from the junk yard, but stay close to the same year for fitment. As for bondo, no, no and no. Bondo is only a filler for low spots after a repair, to be used in a very thin layer. All rust must be removed or it will just come back. There are some very good rust treatment chemicals (like ospho) that treat metals after the rust is removed ( buffed off) where the rust is only surface rust.
Thanks, these pictures aren’t of the door itself, but of the body of the Suburban, below the door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts