GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know how expensive auto paint is. I want to paint my suburban "Machine Grey". I have painted many of my tools with Rust Oleum rattle cans, but I wondered how the gallon cans would work though my paint gun. Would I be able to use clearcoat and normal primer. Should I just save up and buy the auto paint?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I've never tried it, but I'd bet that it would shoot straight out of the can. You could always thin it if you need to. Back in the day when I worked in a parts store, I had a customer with an older Buick and he painted it with spray cans. He used a red oxide primer and hand sanded it after every coat. He was on a budget so he invested the time to make the primer paint look the way he wanted. After a couple of cases of paint and a lot of sanding and buffing it looked very nice. Better than any of the work that Earl Scheib's $99 specials turned out for me. Yeah, I know you get what you pay for.:rules:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
duplicolor makes a variety of Primers, Paints and clears that anyone can use at their home. The have a video of their website. Check it out maybe you'll get some idea's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know that rust oleum will work in a paint gun i did it at work I painted a work truck with it I just had to thin it down a little bit but it seamed to turn out pritty good

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not all of you got this, but I'd like to put the gallon can through my pneumatic paint gun. I plan on doing a good job will the primer and dry/wet sanding evrything. How about clearcoat?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I think that clearcoat would just make touch ups harder. Buff out the topcoat and leave it at that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts