GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow - 3 years in Pittsburgh and suddenly my vehicles are melting away. I need to do a better job keeping the salt off my truck ShACKLE.jpg ShACKLE.jpg

I've replaced exhaust and brake dust covers...the shackle metal looks like its fraying. I hope it is captured in the pic.

Is it common to replace due to rust?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
That is very common, and it looks mostly like the paint is what is fraying. You have alot of miles left before you need to worry about it

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Does not look that bad.. I would sand them down and repaint.. I know living in the NE Sucks.. I just rewired my LOF for the 2nd time in 2 years. No matter how good I protect all the wires they get messed up after every winter..

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Do some research on a product called Fluid Film. Awesome stuff. You can spray it right over the rust and corrosion. Freshen it every year or two and it will virtually stop the rust from spreading.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Forum!!!

Thanks! A quick an awesome response! I think its time i get some pics posted up (other than my rust shackles) and introduce myself!

Thanks again for your input

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yeah i get a can of 3M professional undercoating and spray it on after i sanded it down. Also I painted the calibers, heat shields, and the top of the rotors with black brake caliber paint. Helps to make it look nice and tries to stop the rust.

·
Registered
954 Posts
What keeps your brake pads against the rotors, and applies the pressure to the pads when you hit the brakes

·
Registered
19 Posts
That isn't that bad. My trucks been through 14 NY winters and it looks a lot worse than that. I am cleaning my frame up and painting it with truck bed coating. Then every fall, I'm going to get it undercoated by Carwell. Carwell sprays a tar like substance on the frame to prevent rust. Im starting to undercoat mine this year to make my truck last as long as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts