GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new owmer of a 1988 GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 (350 TBI).
I have a few problems to sort out and restore this baby to its former glory.

1) there is rust around the lower edges of the doors and the rockers are even worse. I've been told to knock off as much rust as possible, sand the area then use steel tape and bondo; on the other hand i've been told the only thing to do is replace the rockers with new parts. (???)

2) After repairing the rockers the last thing I want to do is rip them apart, but I do intend to do some mild off-roading. There doesn't seem to be a listing for nerf bars for older Burbs nor rocker sliders. I want functional parts, not interested in parts for show only. Any suggestions?

3) One other annoying problem is my pwr door locks don't work. So I spend alot of time walking around the truck and opening and closing doors (back doors don't have keyed locks. So I just purchased this power door locks with a small box, 4 actuators, and 2 key fobs... I am wondering if there is a way to use this kit to repair the original system and gain key fob (remote) access at same time?? I'm not even sure how to get the door panels off. After removing the 4 lower screws, 2 at door handle, 1 on each side, and the door lock button, the panel still seemed stuck I pryed the edges loose but something in middle seems to be holding it tight.

** In closing let me say that I love my truck, poor gas mileage and all. I did add an oil coned forced air system and a Helix throttlebody spacer. I added the filter first, the spacer just this weekend; each one works great and combined they have really improved performance and driveability, probably good increase in gas mileage too but I find myself stepping into "it" much more now, so mileage is only a little better at this time (was 10mpg now 14mpg)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Welcome aboard

Please take a minute and fill out a few things about you in the user control panel.

1. I have a buddy that does that to get his older vehicles to pass inspection, the steel tape. It works, but its not the way to make a long lasting repair. To make a permanent repair you need to replace with new steel.

2. Look for them for a four door cab on a pickup. As far as functional rock sliders, 1/8” steel plate works great. I just cut it with my plasma cutter to fit. Any local welding shop should be able to make them for you. Just make a cardboard form, model of what you want and they can make it.

3. There should be a screw behind the interior door handle and 2 in the armrest. There are also carrots, that’s what we called them at the factory. Around the outer edge of the door pad. They are easily removable with a butter knife, putty knife or the proper tool is shaped like a peace sign.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks. :great:

Is it generally true that full size pu parts 73-87 will fit Suburban 73-91? (I am aware of the complete overhaul of GM pu's in 88 while the Suburban didn't get overhauled until 92.

Also, I'll look around for the control panel area and fill out that section.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts