GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has bought, or found, a safari basket for a 1997 Suburban? Ideally, I would like to find one that I can mount the spare tire on, to get it out of the back of the truck.

Also, I have to replace my reciever hitch that someone stole, so if anyone knows of any good deals, hook me up!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You're looking for something to fit over a rear-mounted spare tire? Or something to go up on top? That's my experience with the term "Safari basket".

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Something like this.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Harbor Freight

Check out your closest Harbor Freight. I got a great deal on a "triple ball" receiver. $20 and I don't have to go looking for a ball or swap it out. Just rotate to the desired size and I'm ready for action. They have great deals on conventional receivers too.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
If your looking at the type Steve posted you can get them through 4Wheelparts.com or at the 4 Wheel parts stores in Fort Worth, Coppell, or Downtown Dallas.
I had one on my 96 Suburban, it attached to the factory luggage rack already on the truck. It's a bitch getting the spare tire on and off the truck when you gotta lift it over your head though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve and TB, that is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the help finding one. Yea, I know getting the spare down is a pain, but it can't weight more than the 35x14's that my friend has on his 4-runner. Besides, how often do you need a spare?

unplugged, that will be helpfull, and I alread have that part actually, what they stole is the actual reciever, the part that bolts to the frame under the bumper. I need a new one of those.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
True, I did just curse myself, didn't I?:sign0081:
Yes, you can gid rid of the curse, but it involves a rabbit, an old Ford truck and a lock of hair that you have to rip off of a homeless person. It's not pretty. :neutral:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yes, you can gid rid of the curse, but it involves a rabbit, an old Ford truck and a lock of hair that you have to rip off of a homeless person. It's not pretty. :neutral:
Is that any homeless person? I've always understood it had to be a homeless virgin.

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
Is that any homeless person? I've always understood it had to be a homeless virgin.
yeah, like those exist :rofl:

but seriously...I want to get one for my 91 too, but they're like $400-500, and I can't justify that much money for a rack just yet....

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Watch Craigslist and off-road websites they turn up for sale often. I saw two listed on the Dallas site the week before last, each for under $125.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts