GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Argh, I got a replacement rear windshield from Safelite auto glass. It looked good when they put it in, but I wonder what the quality of the glass is. One of the strut supports came unglued, which I have never seen happen before. :confused:

So I scheduled an appointment to have them fix the window, they would come to my work and have a look, it was bad weather so I cancelled. I was going to drive it up to the shop, but it was never convenient for me to do it and my wife didn't want to mess with it during the week.

So I scheduled an appointment for today, 8 am to 12 pm. I called arond 10:30 see where we were on the schedule for today ... I was on it, the repairman would call 30 minutes before he would arrive. Ok, at 11:45 I called back to see if they could come in the afternoon, becuase we had to drive someone to the airport. The tech was very busy and he would be well after noon before he would get here, maybe 1 pm. I was told his radio was broken in his truck too. argh!

Anyhow, I said that I would be home between 2:00 and 2:30. I got home at 2:35 and the tech had called right at 2:00 pm and said that he was told that I would be home between 2:00 and 2:30. He said he would take off around 2:20 he said.

Anyhow, I'm just a little frustrated, not angry. I'm just hoping that they come out next week first thing Saturday AM.

At least their customer service people were nice. :great:

Anyhow, maybe it was becuase of the bad weather, lots of glass to get fixed, and this is a warranty issue going back now 3 or 4 weeks.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Sounds like a Cable TV appointment :he:
Well thats sounds like a destroyed Saturday!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they send me a hand addressed postcard from the HQ today. I guess their customer satisfaction team tried to reach me, "we attempted to contact you but we're unable to reach you.":great:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I posted in the Trailblazer section, they brought a piece of glass with a factory defect and the bolt-holes don't line up. They left it half bolted in while they order me a new window. It's going to be next Saturday probably before I have time to deal with this. ARGH!

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
This is somewhat off-topic, but I didn't realize that windshields are actually bolted in. That's pretty interesting. On the other hand, I don't know what I thought held it in there prior to reading this, so I guess it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I believe this is the rear window/hatch he's talking about.
New car windshields are held in by a polymer adhesive, depending on the model some have a bead of adhesive upto a quarter inch thick.
The old rubber seals wouldnt work on new cars because of air bags. The air bag would pop the windshield out. If you talk to mechanic's they consider windshields part of the air bag system, part of the reason most states will fail a safety inspection for a cracked windshield even if the crack doesnt obstruct the drivers view.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They tried to come out last monday (when I wasn't home) to fix the window again. They were supposed to call first. I called back and made an appointment for today.

They're already late, maybe I'm being a stickler but this is visit #4 and I'm getting irritated and they should have put me #1 on the list. Argh. Oh well, hopefully they will come fix it right today.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ARGH, they didn't bring the glass today. :-( Why bother coming out then? They have to order it and reschedule for next week.

They're going to pay for the upper cover with the gouge marks though.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
What the F**K!

Steve, are those guys idiots or what? You need to call corp. and make them aware of this B***S*** !It was making me mad just reading the post AND IT IS NOT EVEN MY WINDOW! Good luck dude!:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to schedule time for the manager to come out (Monday-Friday) to view the vehicle. The problem is I don't want to put this on my wife who's busying watching the wildest 2 year old ever. So I put it off and will call them tomorrow probably.

Anyhow, someone called me saying that I had an appointment to bring the Trailblazer into their in-house location. Hmm, no...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hold the manager for ransom. My good fixed window for your manager...and no one gets hurt...LOL

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, what's starting to get at me is how much time this is taking up. I mean, when the glass tech showed up to fix the last piece of glass and he didn't have a clue what was going on, or the history of it all. I mean, come on. Give the guys a handheld or a laptop so they can get some notes on the case.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To their credit, they called me a bunch of times. They want to send a manager out to look at it during business hours, Monday to Friday. :-( I'll give them a call today to see if we can work something out. Need the window fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I got to the right person now. He's the customer service manager and is going to get me GM glass and a new spoiler / rear brake light shroud. Then he's going to come out and assist the tech in getting it installed. Should be ready early next week. :party:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, they got the window fixed yesterday! While they were sending someone out, I had them go ahead and replace the front driver's window that was broken during last week's smash and grab.

Everything looks great.

Not only that, but the local Safelite manager says that he's going to pay me to get a new "Lift Gate > Exterior Trim > Upper moulding".

Click here to see part #3 which is what I'll get a price for. here's the part

So, even though I had some problems with them, they turned out to give me very good service in the end. I would use them again, but I will request OEM glass in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you talk to mechanic's they consider windshields part of the air bag system, part of the reason most states will fail a safety inspection for a cracked windshield even if the crack doesnt obstruct the drivers view.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just saw this post. Sorry you had so much problems with Safelite Steve. I had them replace my front windshield a few months ago. They did a great job on it and half the time they said it would take to install it. That's with me standing outside watching him a couple of times and talking to him asking questions about how they install them and with what. Also why other companies use that tacky looking blue tape to hold the windows in and they don't. I was very impressed with their work. Oh yeah as far as the windshield it looks great and seems to made like oem or better.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well, let it be glass or in my case the Heatpump for my AC/Heat with 4 trips out for the unit freezing and not heating correctly, being on vacation, sleeping to go to work when they want to come, it being under warranty with AHS and just plaind tired I get home today and find it freezing up again Saturday morning, call AHS and tell them that they need to send someone else TODAY and I am not paying another dime as I could replace the unit for the cost of my deductable and what they were charged for the repairs. Well the CSR is sending me a voucher rebate for my deductable, they sent the repair people while I was sleeping and the wife was home recouping from a minor surgery and didn't charge me a dime. These guys were surprise about the other Company as he stated they were prettry good, so I can feel for your Steve, the wait, the calls, the frustration but sometimes in the end it has a bitter sweet outcome that can be worthht its while........Right?:neutral:

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts