GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 91 Chevy K1500 RCSB.
Is it possible/feasible to add a driver side airbag??
What would be involved in doing a mod of this magnitude???

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Your truck, is a GMT 400. GM made these trucks from 1988 to 1998, and a classic in 1999, and in Tahoe, Suburban, 3/4 and 1 ton till 2001 or 2002. So the easiest way to add an air bag, would be to get it from a 1995 plus truck, but you will also need the sensors, and wiring to make it work. The 95 truck would be the best choice, because it is the oddball year. Having the new style interior, but still having a TBI engine like yours, and not a vortec like the 96 up. Now all of this being said, why would you want to add an air bag? If you use your seat belts as you should, there really is no need for an air bag. You never see an air bag in a race car or race truck. But they do have a 5 point harness seat belt, and a roll cage. The air bag in my 97 is bulky and I would like to do away with it, but I like my truck to look OE, untill you look close at it. I have a lot of mods on my truck that look OE, but they are not.

Reactions: thegawd and McBroom

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Here is a pic of mine in my 97. As you van see, it had a different steering wheel, steering column and dash. I also have a passengers side air bag that xan be turned off.
DSCN1579.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like yourself like mods that make ya go hmmm I didn't know they made it like that. And it was a passing thought too.
I've had this truck for a long long time. I'm going to make it a restomod truck. DD and offroad. I am a Mopar man but have owned just about everything except a Studebaker truck.
Ive nodded my Ram 2500 but it's time to get back to working on the chevy.

The Blue Mule

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I have a Denali intrusment cluster in mine with 120 MPH speedo, and white needles that turn yellow once you put the lights on. My top front corner marker lights also light up as I added bulbs there, I have the 4 high headlight mod, I polished out the aluminum tail gate banned, and my OE rims. I added an under hood LED lighted bowtie, and more LED lights that work off of the OE mercury switch, electric fans, i also did a bunch of aluminum polshing under the hood, and I have done a ton of other things. Here are a few pics. If your going to swap steering columns you may as well do the dash too, if you can find on in good shape.
20190925_190955.jpg
20190626_200515.jpg
20190127_133012.jpg
20190914_174820_HDR.jpg
20180623_195917.jpg
20180530_201051.jpg
20190615_094049.jpg

Reactions: thegawd and McBroom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@kennythewelder that looks amazing. I really like the dash setup. I had thought about doin a full digital setup but yours looks like it'll be easier on my wallet. No I didn't say cheap just better and simpler for me to do.

The Blue Mule

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Read through this thread. There is a lot of grate info on these trucks on that forum.

Reactions: McBroom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just joined the gmt400 forum. I've been on the ram forum for several years now and some other forums as well. Thank you for the info and help.

The Blue Mule

·
Registered
687 Posts
".......Now all of this being said, why would you want to add an air bag? If you use your seat belts as you should, there really is no need for an air bag. You never see an air bag in a race car or race truck. But they do have a 5 point harness seat belt, and a roll cage......
Kenny, air bags are needed even with seat belts, racing harness and all. If Dale Earnhardt had an airbag in his NASCAR vehicle, he be alive today. Instead of airbags, NASCAR requires the HANS device. It is to prevent your skull from being pulled out from the spinal cord on hard frontal impacts. A passenger airbag reduces this occurrence but nothing is 100%.

Adding an airbag to a older vehicle I would be leery. Just the wiring and the trigger device can be tricky, probably can use the ones already in the truck, but the size and position can be critical and can the dash accept one. The vinyl covering of the dash needs to be designed so it splits open correctly. For a while during the 1980’s, passenger airbags were optional on some vehicles but trying to get an airbag from a junk yard that is over twenty years old is just too much unknown if it would even fire or a false fire.

If you are that concern, I would replace the vehicle.

Reactions: McBroom
1 - 9 of 9 Posts