GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 2wd Silverado (with towing package) has 75,000 miles on it now, all the maintenance is up to date except now I guess I should flush/refill the coolant-because the truck is five years old. Any tips or advice on the coolant removal/replacement?

Also the owners manual recommends not servicing the transmission until 100,000 mile unless its used for towing...

How about the transmission, would you guys recommend servicing it also before the 100,000 miles...

Thanks

Bert

·
Registered
5 Posts
scheduled maint.

I changed the coolant at 5 years as I only had 60K on truck at the 5 year period, that's when I found out I had leaking intake manifold gaskets, that was an additional $475, curse of a 350 engine.
Water pump went out at 75K, truck now has the yellow color coolant, it mixes with green or orange coolant.

Torque converter went out at 80K, I also had transmission flushed and differential serviced at 60K.

I believe the transmission is the most overlooked service point on most vehicles. People just do not think about it until it gives trouble, then have it serviced and blame the problem on transmission flush.

I plan to get the AC Delco tuneup at 100K about $250 in parts alone, but some have had computer problems with tuneup parts other than Delco.

Plan on new shocks at 100K

If you can change your fuel filter, change filter at 15K intervals. at some point, year model GM put the filter in the tank, do not know why as many fuel pumps as had to be replace. Mine went out at 45K for a total of $600.

Good luck with your truck,

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I change the oil every 5k, and the air filter when needed or every 15k. Coolant I like to flush every 25k unless it looks ugly. The Allison trans I would service per the schedule. Otherwise I service mine at 75k.

·
Registered
233 Posts
if your tranny fluid has never been changed and you have 120+ kms i wouldnt change it, since its a known fact all the smeg in there is whats keeping ur tranny tpgether, the important thing is to change your fuel filter, once the lines get old and rusty forget about getting your fuel filter changed without changing lines etc, and when your fuel filter is even slightly dirty, your running down ur fuel pump, as it has to force harder to get the fuel to the motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i do my transmission every 40k, my coolant every 4yr, fuel filter every 30k, it saves me money in the long run against costly repair like a transmission rebuild, water pump, fuel pump, & others

1 - 5 of 5 Posts