GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. '08 Silverado, 250,000 mi.

In the hot humid summer months my 5.3 is sluggish and very unresponsive power wise. In the cold months it is quick, agile and very responsive power wise. Anyone know what gives..? I think of some kind of temperature sensor gone bad. It's amazing the difference in the engine's performance between summer and winter.

Any advice? Thanks for any and all!

silverdream

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
put on a diagnostic code reader tool.. I have a cp9680 actron .. works great has the engine sensors on the tool screen ..code reader and updates the tool .. $150. abs/drive train/air bag/engine codes..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
put on a diagnostic code reader tool.. I have a cp9680 actron .. works great has the engine sensors on the tool screen ..code reader and updates the tool .. $150. abs/drive train/air bag/engine codes..
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Gasoline atomizes better in cold than it dies in heat. Hence more power when its cold than when its hot. Back in the day, hot roders would run a coil of tubing inside of a bucket of ice. Then tie in there fuel line on each end. This was done close to the carb so that tye gas would be cold going in to the carb, and intake. Yes as mentioned, it is a good idea to check your codes. But if all looks good, then this is why your truck runs better when its cold outside. NOS amplifies this effect as it is very cold. It allows you to put more fuel and air into the engine. This makes more power. Unless you have a power adder, ( turbo or supper charger ECT.) Then your vehicle will have more power in cold weather, at least to a point anyway.

Reactions: Lerch98

·
Registered
78 Posts
Could be the fact that cool air is denser, and denser air provides more engine performance.

Reactions: bazar01
1 - 7 of 7 Posts