GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had problems with the seats on 08 Silverado picking up lint from all sources? What can be done to stop this problem? It sure looks awful!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is the problem the upholstery? Scotchgard will help that.The problem is static electricity. If it is the dash and such try some good ole Armour All:great:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm guessing you have the ebony seats? There is actually a TSB on it. At this time Chevy doesn't have a fix for it.

Scotchguard won't really help the issue from what I've read. It's really a bigger issue then static electricity. The fabric just sucks up lint and holds onto it. (Glad now that I have avoided getting ebony seats, cuz I liked that interior the best)

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is a TSB please? I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado - ebony interior - and it's terrible. Can't ride in the truck in my nice clothes or else I come out covered in lint. Can't get it off with lint roller either. I actually called the Chevy customer service and filed a complaint, but they said there's no recall for this, and nothing that they can do. Am beyond frustrating at paying that much $ and having to deal with this problem. Seems like a small thing, but it really is a bad problem and prevents me from using the truck, especially when I need to take customers out in it. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Technical Service Bulletin, try static gaurd, i know it doesnt smell the greatest but.....

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
How big a problem is this? Do they really need a TSB on this? ;-):rofl:

·
Registered
69 Posts
How big a problem is this? Do they really need a TSB on this? ;-):rofl:

Pretty Big, my drivers seat is grey and headed towards white.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
find some decent seat covers. i have some from cabellas that look good and come in several different colors.
[media]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/52/14/20/i521420snog01.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/52/12/46/i521246sn01b.jpg[/media]

[media]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/52/04/82/i520482sn03.jpg[/media]

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_522006_999_01?$main-Large$

·
Registered
69 Posts
find some decent seat covers. i have some from cabellas that look good and come in several different colors.

Im waiting until i have the extra money to get a good leather set, and a heated seat mod.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2007 with the ebony seats. They have the gray inserts. I thought it was just me being picky. Then lint/hair sticking to the seats is crazy. It drives me nuts everytime I get in.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Good info, my father in law is about to get a new truck and he wants the ebony interior.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I hate the seats. Daily picking crap off them. I'll be putting the FIA seats on my truck soon enough. I just put a set on a customers Silverado and the fit is amazing! Worth the hundred bucks not to deal with the lint anymore.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i assume that this would apply to the seats in my truck (08 chevy 1500) two tone grey and black?

if thats the case i havent noticed anything you are mentioning in here

·
Registered
20 Posts
he y man i have a 2008 silverado with the ebony seat an dit sucks when the lint gets all over the seat. i dont know about scotch guard but i have found that duct tape works pretty good if you do it about 2 to 3 times a week. lint rollers dont workj that good too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A friend of mine runs a car detailing shop and warned me of this problem when i got my truck. This is a well known problem and the way I avoided it was to get aftermarket leather. Its an expensive option to dealing with lint, but you get better quality leather than you do from the factory.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here it is
Bulletin No.: 07-08-50-018A
Date: October 02, 2007
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Excessive Lint Accumulation on Cloth Seats (Parts Not Yet Available) Models:
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL with Cloth Seats (RPOs AE7, AZ3, A95)
Built Prior to August 1, 2007
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to advise dealers that the appropriate parts are not available at this time. This bulletin will be revised again when parts become available. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-50-018 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
Condition
Some customers may comment on excessive lint accumulation on the cloth seat material. Darker colored seat fabric seems to show the condition more than lighter fabrics.
Cause
The source of the lint accumulation is not the seat fabric material. The seat material, though, exhibits a tendency to accumulate and retain lint from sources that come into contact with the fabric.
Correction
The part numbers listed in the previous bulletin were incorrect. Please do not replace the seat covers at this time

·
Registered
69 Posts
A friend of mine runs a car detailing shop and warned me of this problem when i got my truck. This is a well known problem and the way I avoided it was to get aftermarket leather. Its an expensive option to dealing with lint, but you get better quality leather than you do from the factory.

How much was the leather upgrade and how is the fit, no ill fitting corners or "pockets"?

·
Registered
13 Posts
How much was the leather upgrade and how is the fit, no ill fitting corners or "pockets"?

When shopping for the truck, I was quoted prices from $500 to $1,000 at different dealerships for the aftermarket leather.

The fit is awesome. I was concerned about it looking loose or just feeling cheap. Actually the leather in mine is of a higher quality (softer and a nicer finish) than factory leather.

After my experience with aftermarket leather, I will do this with all my next vehicles.

For extra money they can add heated seats and chevy bow ties (couple hundred for each).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone had problems with the seats on 08 Silverado picking up lint from all sources? What can be done to stop this problem? It sure looks awful!

I went into the dealer and they told me that there was a TSB for this and they replaced my whole seats. Enerything but the frames.It looks ok. The outsides are the same, but the centers are the same as my sister's chevy cobalt. Which is cool, but it did not fix anything. I still have tones of lint!!! So I called GM and they pretty much said that they did all they were willing to do.

Now I have my attorny looking at it. $30,000.00 for this hassel. No wonder they went bankrupt

IF YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE CONTACT GM AND COMPLAIN!!!! Maybe if enough of us do. They may do something about it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts