GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My light comes on for a few days and then goes off for a week. So all in all it has come on three times. It all started when I decided to change my spark plugs, I changed them out and cranked it up and it started and idled fine so it was dark and went inside.

When I drove to work the next morning the light came on and the truck started running really rough, it felt like a misfire. I took it to Advace Auto and the plugged in to the diag. port and it gave a misfire in cyl 6. I bought a new plug and put it in and she ran perfect and light went off.

A couple days later the light came on and I got them to plug in again and it spit back a Bank 1 too lean code. He cleared it and it stayed off for about a week and then came on for a few days before going back off. I put Lucas fuel inj cleaner in las time I filled up and it seemed to stay off for a little bit longer this last time.

Is this just a clogged fuel injector or what? How hard is it to change the inj's if I have a haynes man.

Oh yeah its a 99 Silv Z71 5.3

Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
What type of plugs did you use? And did you verify they were gapped correctly? Probably wouldn't hurt to check the plugs/wires again. Did you also replace the wires? A bad wire with a bad connection can cause misfires.

I'd also suggest running "Heet" as a fuel additive, part# 28201. Most auto stores including wal-mart carry it. It does a great job of cleaning out the fuel lines, injectors, etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Autolite Platinums gapped correctly but didn't replace the wires. I'm not getting a misfire anymore just the light on ever once in a while saying Bank 1 too lean.

·
Registered
561 Posts
might get a couple cans of SeaFoam and run one in the vaccum port and let it stall the motor and sit for 15 min then start and run untill the smoke clears. if there is alot smoke repeat. you might have a ton of carbon or crud in the intake system...........mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll pick them up this afternoon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ugh, Autocrap plugs. I have had nothing but bad luck with Autolites. Stick with AC Delcos or NGK's. NGK's might be too hot to run in your truck, unless you find a place that carries different heat ranges (i.e. NOT VatoZone of Advance)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the AC Delcos do you use iridium or platinum, is it still the 41-952 part #?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Platinums will be fine. They should come already gapped, but double check to make sure. Use a valve lash tool to check the gap so you don't ruin the postive electrode.

With the AC Delcos do you use iridium or platinum, is it still the 41-952 part #?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you use the seafoam for the injectors, do you undo the intake manifold vaccum hose or the throttle body vaccum hose?

Thanks for all the advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts