GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1998 GMC Suburban 1500 4X4 that runs and drives great. Had it about a year now and have noticed that every time I drive up a decent grade where it downshifts the "service engine soon" light will light up and stay on for a few days and eventually go out. Only will get triggered "ON" when climbing decent grades. No noticeable change in overall driveability.
Seems to me that it would be something such as an emissions sensitivity issue triggering the computer but the manual states that in order to retrieve the code for the error you must bring it to a garage equipped with the up to date equipment for this vehicle. No more paperclip to short the A and B. Anyone have similiar issues? If so, what can you recommend? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey Formula, Welcome aboard. I would be interested in seeing the code on a scanner myself. I can't think for the life of me what it would see wrong on a grade. Maybe starved oil pump for a minute. It's got me. Do you have a shop you go to that could throw a scanner on quick when SES light is on?

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
Most Major auto parts stores (auto zone, discount auto) will pull codes off the computer for free.

·
1,531 Posts
You can also purchase an OBD-2 code reader for anywhere from ~$40 to $100.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forgetaboutit!

I have the same vehicle, '99 vintage, and it does the exact same thing. When I am freeway driving up a hill and it kicks down a gear and hits 2600-2800 or so rpm the light blinks, then stays on for a few days. It does it about every 3 or 4 months. I have had it scanned and checked over several times and good mechanics have done several things to no avail. The best answer I get is it is probably a transitory misifire due to a carbon flake or some other "burb". As long as the engine sounds good and it goes out in a few days, ignore it, so forgetaboutit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts