GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings all

i have a 2000 chevy suburban 2500 with about 81000 miles and the service ride control light has just come an and will not go off. any ideas, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ever get an answer to this problem. I have a 2000 suburban and the service ride control has been on for years. 150000 miles. I think I need shocks anyway but not sure if this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just still researching this issue and thought I'd bump the thread . Must not be a very common issue as its hard to get a straight answer anywhere I look.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
what is "service ride" ????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its "service ride control" and thats what I am trying to find out myself. I believe its something to do with the shocks. I know I need shocks but just wondering if there is anything else to this. I know on my vette I just look up an issue and there are all kinds of people who have had the same problems and Its very easy to track down and fix. I guess the suburban does not have such an avid following. Just trying to avoid the dealer and dont own a diag. tool.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Gentlemen;

Here is what I have found on this issue, please be advised that this is being brought to us from another site to which I have NO affiliation with, just an extensive search on the issue, as my 02 Burban
has the feature to which I want to be aware of in case of future problems or issues. The following:
2001 Suburban 5.3 4x4 with Autoride. Sent to Chevy Experts February 06 01:20 PM ... Service Ride Control Message Displayed, DTC C0580 Set (Replace Right ...
chevrolet.justanswer.com/questions/127ul-2001-suburban-5-3-4x4 - Similar pages
(You can access by using Google and in the search put "service Ride Control - Chevy Suburban")
This has a very lenghty write up and a good one to boot. I hope this at the very least provides a start
to correcting your problems. The Burban is new to me on repairs, most are still general repairs with deductive reasoning, some I will need to learn, but learning keeps the mind alive, even if the body has been banged up, right!:rofl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, during my research i did find out that it does have something to do with the shocks and the auto levleing system.

·
Registered
223 Posts
greetings all

i have a 2000 chevy suburban 2500 with about 81000 miles and the service ride control light has just come an and will not go off. any ideas, thanks in advance.
There is some kind of malfunction in the Autoride system which is sending you the error code. I have successfully removed the Autoride from my Suburban. If you have any questions, let me know and I will post the threads for you.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have an '02 Tahoe with this and I also have "service ride control" message. What the garage told me is that the rear shocks have the "auto ride" sensors in them. To replace these sensors, you have to replace the whole shock at about $500 each. Now there may be some other issue that can give you this message but with my case, it is the sensors in the shocks that are bad. It's 7 years old with 115,000+ on it so when I do need to replace the shocks, I will probabaly go with some other shock instead of spending the $1000. Only other suggestion is, if it is your shocks, try a junk yard to see what the cost is to replace them that way.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have an '02 Tahoe with this and I also have "service ride control" message. What the garage told me is that the rear shocks have the "auto ride" sensors in them. To replace these sensors, you have to replace the whole shock at about $500 each. Now there may be some other issue that can give you this message but with my case, it is the sensors in the shocks that are bad. It's 7 years old with 115,000+ on it so when I do need to replace the shocks, I will probabaly go with some other shock instead of spending the $1000. Only other suggestion is, if it is your shocks, try a junk yard to see what the cost is to replace them that way.

Both the front and rear shocks have the sensors in them so it could be any of the 4 that are bad. Also, all 4 corners of your suspension have postion sensors as well, and that's not to mention the EVO, ABS and the load leveling feature. If any problem occurs in the above mentioned sensors or parts, you will get the Error message. How did your garage narrow the problem down to the rear shocks? Monroe makes an aftermarket Autoride shock and there is a company called www.strutmasters.com that supposedly make a fix as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's where they told me the problem area was. Didn't get into specifics. I've been running this way for a number of years. Sometimes during the winter months, the error message is not displayed. I'm only repeating what my garage told me. Not an issue with me or my ride. Annoying? yes, but I'll live with it until the time come to replace the shocks. Front and/or rear. Oh, buy the way, that $500 per shock was factory GM parts so that is why the sticker shock.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's where they told me the problem area was. Didn't get into specifics. I've been running this way for a number of years. Sometimes during the winter months, the error message is not displayed. I'm only repeating what my garage told me. Not an issue with me or my ride. Annoying? yes, but I'll live with it until the time come to replace the shocks. Front and/or rear. Oh, buy the way, that $500 per shock was factory GM parts so that is why the sticker shock.

I was just curious because you'd pretty well have to have the GM scan tool to know exactly which shock(s) or other parts were causing the problem and I already knew the $500.00 figure was the Generals price for those shocks. Actually, I think you did pretty good based on the mileage you got out of them considering most normal shocks don't last that long. All these new electronic, computer controlled vehicles are great until you have to pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got my info from a Chevy garage so I figured what they told me was correct. Soon as I heard the $$$$, I turned a deaf ear 'cause there was no way I was dropping that kind of coin for shocks. I figured I'll be looking aroung the junk yards when the time comes. So far no issues with ride but I'm sure if I got them replaced, I'd feel a big difference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got my info from a Chevy garage so I figured what they told me was correct. Soon as I heard the $$$$, I turned a deaf ear 'cause there was no way I was dropping that kind of coin for shocks. I figured I'll be looking aroung the junk yards when the time comes. So far no issues with ride but I'm sure if I got them replaced, I'd feel a big difference.
I guess the only problem with junk yards is you don't really know how the previous owner treated the truck but I do agree that once these things are fixed your ride should improve immensely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info.

Hey man great job on getting rid of the autoride. I have an 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L and i just finished putting $800 into the autoride to get new rear sensors less than two months ago and the "service ride control" just came back on. the truck only has 42,000 miles on it and i can't afford to keep putting money into the system so i can't wait to make the swap. I only have one question and i know its a stupid one but im just double checking; I'm not sure what engine ur Burban has but will it make any difference since mine has 8.1 or can i just send out the BCM to get the codes removed and unhook the SCM?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey man great job on getting rid of the autoride. I have an 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L and i just finished putting $800 into the autoride to get new rear sensors less than two months ago and the "service ride control" just came back on. the truck only has 42,000 miles on it and i can't afford to keep putting money into the system so i can't wait to make the swap. I only have one question and i know its a stupid one but im just double checking; I'm not sure what engine ur Burban has but will it make any difference since mine has 8.1 or can i just send out the BCM to get the codes removed and unhook the SCM?

My Burban has a 6.0, however that doesn't make a difference as far as removing the Autoride the same way I did on my truck. The only difference is that Autoride (RPO Z55) was an option on the 6.0 LT versions whereas it was standard equipment on the 8.1 LT. If you bought an 01-06 2500 LT Suburban with the 8.1 then it came with Autoride. I think the only 8.1 Sub's in those years that didn't come with Autoride were the bare bones models that were used by Federal Government Agencies (FBI, ATF, Border Protection, Military, Etc) or your local police. Lynden Wester should be able to figure it out for you as I know he's done a few 8.1's. So, yes, just get the BCM reprogrammed and completely disconnect the SCM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts