GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At times my truck will drive perfectly fine but at other times when I'm staying at around 35mph it will shake like crazy and won't go away until I slow down or speed up. Anyone know what this could be?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
does it start shaking again around 70mph. could be tire balance. after that possible driveline issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say tire balance too. I've had the same problem with cars before and it always was tire balancing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had that problem on my 2000 thought it was the tires but it turned out to be my LF bearing was falling out. It was odd because it only happened sometimes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My Sub had some severe vibration between 40-55. Changed u-joints. Still vibrated. I knew the tires were balanced, so I finally climbed back underneath and noticed the rear yoke was loose. Got a big socket (either 1-1/16 or 1-1/8"), some loctite and tightened it back down. Took care of my issue...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Other thing that sometimes happens is the lockup torque converter doesn't disengage. This won't happen if you are speeding up to 35, it pretty much only happens if you're slowing down from cruising speed (55 or so) to the 30's range. you can tell though, it's more of an engine chug shake than just a chassis vibration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had tires cause this problem before. The belts break in the tire causing a severe wobble, also called "death wobble". Only does it at a certain speed, I don't know why. To check if this is the problem, rotate the rear tires to the front and the front tires to the rear. If it goes away, then you know its the tires.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Warped rotors can also give you vibrations even when not using the brakes

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you but i'm pretty sure it has more to do with either the drivetrain or the tires. The rotors are new and are smooth when braking. I'm leaning towards the tires and am gonna have them rebalanced.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Just in case the drivetrain or tires do not solve your problem, keep the rotors in mind. Rotors can be warped if your lugs were not properly torqued correct/equally, especially in the sense of them being over-torqued with a strong impact wrench.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had tires cause this problem before. The belts break in the tire causing a severe wobble, also called "death wobble". Only does it at a certain speed, I don't know why. To check if this is the problem, rotate the rear tires to the front and the front tires to the rear. If it goes away, then you know its the tires.
Ok. Im a tire guy.

If you have a broken belt in your tire you will always feel it no matter what speed you go. Its the same with a shifted belt.

As for balance issues, if it were a balance issue it would be in your seat or steering wheel. Rotating your tires will only move the problem not solve it.

Seat for the rears, steering wheel for the front.

If you can feel the shakes throughout the vehicle, its likely drive line, or brakes and rotors. I've seen new rotors warp because they weren't cleaned right, or over torqued at the lug nut. GM trucks all require 140 ft/lbs of torque

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab 4x4 5.3l V8, Purchased with a 4"lift with 35-12.50-20 MT
8 Posts
does it start shaking again around 70mph. could be tire balance. after that possible driveline issue.
Mine does this and it is NOT a tire balance, pressure, or alignment issue. What should I look for next

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
4,002 Posts
Howdy and welcome. You’re responding to a 10 year old thread. You’d probably do well to start a fresh one.

Reactions: CBrault17Z71

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
Chris, as the tire guy said, do you feel it in the steering wheel?
Is there any grinding sounds?
Have you had the ball joints, the tie rods, etc checked for wear?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts