GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how hard is it to install a shift kit? i bought a b&m shift kit for my 1989 pontiac trans am, i just don't know if i should tackle the job myself

·
Registered
561 Posts
depending on the kit as long as you read the instructions 2-4 times before doing any work and following them while doing the upgrade no sweat. i like the Transgo -2 kits but i done a few B&M kits without too much hassle. what tranny the slip and slide? and what shift kit? did you add a second filter and cooler?....mike

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Tommorow I should be installing a shift kit in my Burban. It's an attempt to fix my valve body. Aamco said something is sticking in the valve body, and I figured this would be a decent way to fix the issue, plus get better shifts. I have the transgo 700 Jr kit. Instructions seem kinda confusing, especially since it's the kit for transmission shops, who already know a bit about transmissions beforehand. Anyone know where I can find the consumer instructions on the web somewhere? I'm always open to suggestions

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
depending on the kit as long as you read the instructions 2-4 times before doing any work and following them while doing the upgrade no sweat. i like the Transgo -2 kits but i done a few B&M kits without too much hassle. what tranny the slip and slide? and what shift kit? did you add a second filter and cooler?....mike
it's a 700r4 tranny, i didn't add a second f ilter or cooler, should I? i assumed the same, it just seem like a lot of tiny parts that could get lost lol.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i like to keep my stuff going along time and make service easy. now at oil changes i toss in a new tranny filter and a quart of tranny oil and the tranny is very happy and heat is a killer so a second or better cooler is cheap insurance to keep the running for many miles----------think of the addd heat when you are pulling a load....mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
i like to keep my stuff going along time and make service easy. now at oil changes i toss in a new tranny filter and a quart of tranny oil and the tranny is very happy and heat is a killer so a second or better cooler is cheap insurance to keep the running for many miles----------think of the addd heat when you are pulling a load....mike
What kinda cooler did you get?

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
A B&M stacked plate cooler is about the best cooler I've heard other people recommend.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
so how hard is it to install a shift kit? i bought a b&m shift kit for my 1989 pontiac trans am, i just don't know if i should tackle the job myself
Like others have said if you follow the instructions you'll be OK. Make sure you have some clean solvent and several cans of Brake Cleaner on hand. Do not wipe anything with rags. Blow it dry with shop air or let the Brake Cleaner air dry. Grease the check balls with Vasoline. Do not use any other kind of grease. Make sure you have a new filter too.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Tommorow I should be installing a shift kit in my Burban. It's an attempt to fix my valve body. Aamco said something is sticking in the valve body, and I figured this would be a decent way to fix the issue, plus get better shifts. I have the transgo 700 Jr kit. Instructions seem kinda confusing, especially since it's the kit for transmission shops, who already know a bit about transmissions beforehand. Anyone know where I can find the consumer instructions on the web somewhere? I'm always open to suggestions
Send me a PM and I'll send you a PDF of your valve body. The 700 Jr Kit is very easy to install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts