GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2002 Z71 has an issue of a shimmy/clunk in the steering wheel while turning. Its not all the time, just intermittent. On my old car, it was a bushing, but I was able to shake the drivers wheel, and feel and see where it was moving at, on my truck, Not the same case. Can someone help me out, and tell me what I need to look at? Ive had my truck alittle over a year and this is the first issue I have, and dont want to have to go to a shop to have it fixed.
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
75 Posts
ummm... I'm not sure if the 2002 year model has pitman arm or rack and pinion steering... but if it has a 4x4 and has pitman arm steering, then that's a sign that some of your steering components are worn... I had the same problem on my 1995 tahoe two door and found that my steering box was wearing out so I replaced it with an AGR superbox #2 which was hella expensive but now I have sports car like steering. In any case the 2002 has a completely different suspension than the 1995... But here is the first step to solving your problem, go to an alignment shop and get those guys to look at it and ask them what's wrong. Hopefully it will turn out to be something cheap like a worn pitman/idler arm...

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Eeek, I hate wheel problems like this. Can be scary, I had a steering box strip out on me completely in like 5,000 miles (after an accident) so I don't take ANY chances with this stuff.

Anyhow, this is a fairly common issue.

Does it feel like the steering is not responsive when it's thumping? I think there was a TSB on this. Something to do with a steering arm bushing that needs to be greased, there is an updated bushing that any dealer can provide, but for 2002 it will be like $50 probably.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts