GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I used to have a 2011 4wd 5.3L.
When I changed the trans fluid and filter, before I dropped the pan, I pumped out about 4 quarts of old fluid, I think, by disconnecting the upper trans cooler line to the radiator and running the engine until I see a few air bubbles coming out of the clear hose that is connected to the radiator end fitting. I used a 3/8" od copper tube and 6 feet of 3/8" id clear hose from HD.
Dropped the pan, less mess with less fluid, change filter, clean the pan and magnet, new gasket then reinstalled the pan.
I filled up with new fluid the same amount that pumped out plus whatever amount old fluid was left in the pan. You have to measure all old fluid that came out.

Now, to flush the torque converter and cooler, with new fluid in, I pumped out 1 quart of old fluid by running the engine and stopping it at 1 quart.
Fill it up with 1 quart of new fluid.
Then repeat every quart at a time until new red clean fluid starts coming out of the cooler line.
Remove the clear hose and reinstall the cooler line and it's done.

Repeat after 40-60k depending on service.

Reactions: j cat

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2011 Sierra 4x4 from a GMC dealer in 2019 with 95k miles. I now have 124k miles. The trans fluid is red and looks good to me -- not dirty. I am having no problems at all. My question is this. I have no idea if the transmission fluid has ever been changed by the prior owner. The dealerships tell me its best not to change it since there's no way to know if its been changed or not....and if the prior owner did not do that then I may start having problems if I change it now, so.....just let it ride. I've read other posts on this site where people recommend to someone to change the fluid out, and filter for trans temp problem. So, I got to thinking (again) should I have that changed out even though the dealerships didn't recommend it ? I don't know. Am I a worry-wart? Ha
It is not required to change , as the fluid is long life one. But its necessary to check the level and especially no discoloration of the fluid, in every preventive regular services.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
A multi brand automotive service center
well some will not change the fluids .. then you will make a lot of $$$ with these owners that do not correctly do the maintenance .
my cousins had a automotive repair shop and I was a young guy at the shop .. so many owners did not do the inspecting of the vehicles .. then my cousins had to change all the parts ..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts