GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm glad to see the stores down there are the same cuz we have those problems up here too. Nothing gives me an epileptic cesare than trying to buy a car part in these stores. So I aggravate them by asking for a muffler bearing for an 81 Chevette or a giggle pin for the laugh half shaft. I nearly pee myself everytime. So next time you go in there buy a key chain and some window cleaner...I think your pretty safe to do that much

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The big problem with all these parts chains, and the parts field in general, is they pay you CRAP! I worked too many years in that field for such pathetic paychecks it makes me sick now looking back on it. I have worked just about all angles of it as well. Aftermarket parts, performance parts, dealership parts, auto body parts & supplies, and so on. At most of those places I ran the paint department and even did some of the minor machine shop duties. Never once got paid extra for all the exttra knowledge and work.

Not once, regardless of where I worked, did I receive a decent & fair wage based on my abilities. I finally got out of the business because the pay was so poor. Not to toot my own horn( oh okay toot toot :cool: )but I was damn good at it too. I think I was made for that job but again the pay stinks.

These stores just will not pay someone with any experience and knowledge what they are worth so because of it you get airheads and surfer dudes that have to go to a full serve gas station because they can't even fill their own tank. When I go to an Auto Zone or PepBoys, heck even most of the local Napa's, I usually end up looking my own stuff up. Things go down hill real fast if their computers crash and they actually have to get a parts book out to find the info and a price sheet to know what to charge you. I actually had a local Advanced AP tell me I would have to come back to buy the starter I wanted because the computer was down and they didn't know how to price it. Even the manager didn't know.

Time and again I have been asked about going to work for these local stores and it always ends when I tell them what I expect for pay and they tell me what they can offer. About $10 apart.
Actually you are exactly right with your statement.(I think people are just blowing of steam)
If say you are doing a front brake job you crawl out from under car to go get parts. Drive back without checking box. Get back into postion and pull out a rotor for a 1980 Dodge Omni LOL...and go oh for the love of God are you kidding me...there in lies the pain HA HA HA

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.